Hoppers

Pontus

Pontus

Well I'm dreaming of summer and throwing hoppers to hopefully hungry and readily rising trout. This is my first season tying, and I'm looking for a relatively easy hopper pattern (preferably foam). Maybe something with a hair wing and foam body. I'm not exactly sure. I've had success with the more natural looking parachute hoppers, but one or two fish noticeably mangles the feather legs and wings.

So what type of hoppers do you guys fish? Recipes, please, too.

I like Dave's hopper

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/intermediate/part31.php

Nowadays I tie almost all my terrestrials (at least those bigger than #18) with foam and have long since abondoned fur and hair. A simple pattern to practice on would be a "Chernobyl Ant." This is a big, very simple fly: rubber legs with stacked foam - sometimes called "sandwich" - that will double as a hopper. With some practice, you can start adding hair wings or other add-ons that make it more hopper like.
If you don't already have some, get some heavy thread - monocord or kevlar or something for tying foam hoppers as this will allow you to really cinch down the foam making a more durable fly. I use a lot of Superglue with foam flies too.

Ed Schenk's "Letort Hopper". Easy to tie and effective.

I only use foam for my hoppers.

Here they are....

Attachments

• Foam Hopper.jpg
    Foam Hopper.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Hoppicator.jpg
    Hoppicator.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 3
Ed Schenk's "Letort Hopper". Easy to tie and effective.
second that for the east-
speaking of hoppers-the ones in fl. are 5 inches-B-29s not mustangs

Madam X?

I love the Hopper Juan. Its not the easiest tie but its not too bad.

http://vimeo.com/8552463

Instead of the underwing he uses I just use a layer of crystal flash and instead of the pink stuff he uses as the indicator I use white antron or poly yarn.

Well I tied up one a Charlie Boy Hopper (from Charlie's Fly Box). This is my first hopper and my first time flaring any type of hair. The wing is a little too sparse. I should put some more hair in it next time. Pointers? Comments?

img1335z.jpg

Back