Hoppers!

F

Fishidiot

If you're planning a trip out West this year, you might want to tie even more grasshoppers. They're likely to be even more effective than usual - unless the fish are too stuffed to eat.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100531/sc_livescience/westpoisedforworstgrasshopperoutbreakin30years

Flybop was drooling over this a few months ago when we discussed it... looks epic.

Here's the deal... we all play the powerball for tomorrow's jackpot (260 mil) and if someone from the site wins they treat an all inclusive trip to Montana for the hopper season. Sounds like a good plan huh??

btw... I hate tying hoppers... anyone want to swap a few dozen hoppers for something else?

A few dozen?

A few should cut it. If you're fishing them on lighter than 4x, you're nuts.

Which patterns have you tied? You really can't beat this:
http://www.danica.com/flytier/eshenk/letort_hopper.htm

I'm just not a fan of that pattern. I can tie it no problem but I like the looks and the buoyancy of dave's hopper especially. I just don't like tying them.

I like fishing them for large sunnies and bass too as well as trout, and they tear them up... so yes a few dozen. Anywhere from sz 14 to sz 8.

I'll be a couple weeks early, but I'll be sure to have a few with me. Thanks for the report.

Ah, ok. I just lash some hair on a hook for those guys and call it a day. I'll probably tie 4 of em for trout and call it a season.

ryguyfi wrote:
I'm just not a fan of that pattern. I can tie it no problem but I like the looks and the buoyancy of dave's hopper especially. I just don't like tying them.

I like fishing them for large sunnies and bass too as well as trout, and they tear them up... so yes a few dozen. Anywhere from sz 14 to sz 8.

I agree just not my cup of tea to tie. Lucky for me I bought 2 dozen assorted hoppers and crickets from the flyshack.com in Somerset. $10 a dozen!

I should at least be good until January.

Those are hoppers in the "plague of locust" category...they can wipe out a crop field in no time...grasses, alfalfa, corn..they ain't picky...

Back