Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Honey Bug Material

From Philadelphia
Does anyone know where I can get some 4 stranded cotton chenille? I dye it up myself so I am perferrably looking for white. I can find 2 strand but I prefer 4. Yes, I know I can double it up but the flies don't look the same or as good.

Posted on: 2011/10/3 13:32

Re: Honey Bug Material

From Wayne County
bigmeadowsflyshop.com

Posted on: 2011/10/3 13:38

From SEPA
+1

Get if from Sandfly at bigmeadowsflyshop.com

Posted on: 2011/10/3 14:22

From The great north east
Sounds like you tie a lot of honey bugs. I dont know what of deals sandfly can do for you. But you can get the stuff in bulk on the big e auction site.

Posted on: 2011/10/3 18:16

From SE Pa.

Posted on: 2011/10/3 19:49

From philadelphia
i'd love to see a picture of a honeybug .i don't know how it differs from a green weenie

Posted on: 2011/10/3 23:50

From Chester County
Quote:

shakey wrote:
i'd love to see a picture of a honeybug .i don't know how it differs from a green weenie

Sandy has you covered:

http://bigmeadowsflyshop.com/Honey_Bug_Page.html

HTH

Posted on: 2011/10/4 6:16

Honeybug- cotton chenille
Green weenie- Rayon chenille.

honey has tags, weenie has a loop.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 8:25

From Philadelphia
As a point of full disclosure, I use honey bug material to tie flies other than honey bugs. I only use honey bugs as sucker spawn and don't really tie too many of them. When I tie them I use pale yellow with red thread and I use no tag or loop. I tie something that I call an inchworm with this material that I dye green. I tie hundreds a year because I tie for me and all my friends. People tell me I'm tying a green weenie but to Mr. Utah's point, a weenie has a loop but I use no loop. I also tie it much bigger than green weenie's I've seen used.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 13:26

From SEPA
Quote:

shakey wrote:

All aside from tails, no tails, strands, and "translucency of cotton in water," well, the truth of the matter is tradition is tradition.

You're the sort of guy who I think gets that pretty well. Its a honey bug.

In addition to Sandfly's page, someone once sent me the original Honey Bug flyer.

If you PM me your address, I can email it. It would appear I cannot link it as a file to this post, but between that and Sandy's original material, you can be delightfully oldschool PA fishin' in no time.

FWIW, I received some of this in green from the Little Lehigh Fly Shop before it closed out. Its not the usual chenille, and I don't profess to know or care the difference between the stuff you buy in skein from the Internet and Sandy's stash, but this is a far cry from off the shelf rayon chenille. Sandy's samples seem to match up with mine quite nicely.

Frankly, this thread makes me inspired to order some as I only have the thicker one, and its just too much for the size flies I like to use.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 13:40

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
the cottin chenille on "E" is not honey bug material, has to be honey bug to get the wet look just right. what ever the properties are, it has never been copied...

Attach file:

jpg  5-23-2011 asaph 018.jpg (95.82 KB)
112_4e8b68c1a5ae4.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  honey bug 008.jpg (6.69 KB)
112_4e8b698e0f283.jpg 370X260 px

jpg  honey bug 010.jpg (3.73 KB)
112_4e8b69cce5d19.jpg 370X260 px

Posted on: 2011/10/4 16:11

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Sorry to burst bubbles and I dont mean to ruin anything sandfly has going but cotton chenille is cotton chenille. There are no textile materials made for fly tying specifically.

The gentleman that started the thread asked for a source for cotton chenille. I dont think you'll be pulling the wool over his eyes.

Sandfly, You offer a great product with lots of color options.

I recommend to anyone who wants a variety of colors or just a couple of cards to use your product.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 18:30

From Lehigh Valley
Foxgap - Several years ago, there was a discussion here about honeybugs, and the "inventor" of the honeybug. That would be the late Paul Berger. I used to list my email address in my profile, and I actually got several emails from Paul Berger's nephew. Nice guy.

The honeybug inchworm is a pattern that Don Douple came up with. He used the 4 strand stuff to dye his own material. The original color was Rit neon green. This dye is still available, but only in bulk, not the little boxes or bottles commonly found in stores.

If you want a skein of the undyed yarn, sandfly can get you one (got ya covered, Bob). Unless Hille's gets going again, sandfly is the only source that I know of for the original material.

Attach file:

jpg  honeybug inchworm.jpg (9.50 KB)
72_4e8b9124719d4.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2011/10/4 19:03

From Philadelphia
Don Douple taught me everything I know about fishing and tying. I still fish with him as much as I and he can although his health is not good. Yes, you are exactly right. I want to find a skein of 4 strand to dye it neon green. You cannot actually buy neon green any longer in RIT packs and I had to go on the internet and find a pound jar. I think Don bought dozens of packs when he heard they were discontinuing it. If someone has a skein, please PM me and we can work out a deal. Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 19:16

From SEPA
Quote:

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Sorry to burst bubbles and I dont mean to ruin anything sandfly has going but cotton chenille is cotton chenille. There are no textile materials made for fly tying specifically.

The gentleman that started the thread asked for a source for cotton chenille. I dont think you'll be pulling the wool over his eyes.

Actually, he asked for "Honey Bug material," which one can only presume means the original stuff. For better or worse, niche products come and go, not unlike the Lafontaine called for sparkle yarn which is gone. Does regular yarn work as well? Maybe, but there's people who swear by the real stuff.

You want the real stuff, it would appear Sandfly has a stock. So do, or did, other shops here and there. Cotton chenille might be just as good, or maybe not.

Sometimes the magic is in believing.

Kinda like your fancy fly, eh? "No one uses my material but me!" Hopefully when you're dead and gone the last few cats who knew you will furtively trade whatever your secret stuff is in the shadows of the local fly shop backroom proclaiming it to truly be the magic, while outfront someone blows hard about how you can just use any old plastic bag etc?

-shrug-

Posted on: 2011/10/4 20:55

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com