Hen Hackle: Tips & Techniques video

T

tctrout

Here's a recent video I posted on YouTube regarding hen necks and saddles. I know that when I first started tying flies over 20 years ago that there was a difference between hen and rooster feathers, but I didn't quite know the fly tying applications.

In this video, I show a few of the common ones, most notably for soft hackles, tailing, legs, and beards (on wet flies, not the playoffs!). Depending on the comments, I may create an additional video for wings on both wet and dry flies.

Thanks, and enjoy!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZxoSMClQM[/youtube]

I liked the video since i am in the stage of not knowing a saddle from a hackle from a cape to a whatever else is out there. Do another. Things I liked:
1) You talk faster then most fly tying video producers. Nothing I hate more then a slow talker boring me about fly tying.

2) Explained only what needed to be explained

3) you knew what you were talking about

4) provided a source for your material

5) most importantly you did not bore me with a tone more suited for a bedtime story.

Great job

Thanks for the comments, and I hope the video helped in regards to using hen capes and saddles.

TC

Nice video Tim. I've been tying for 41 years and found it very informative and thorough, thank you.

Thanks man. Really nice. I especially liked the fact that you discussed the various feathers and why you liked them.

I appreciate the feedback; I've received some additional feedback via email asking for some additional techniques involving these feathers, and will do my best to put together some more video in the new year.

TC

Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make and share it with us.

Back