Help, I cant stop!

slimyrock

slimyrock

A month ago I joined the site to get the scoop on fly tying and info on fly fishing. Well i got the tools and materials to tie flies and I hinestly have to tell you, I am addicted.
I started out doing the flies that were in the book that came with the kit. Then I went on line and started doing flies from the online tutorials. Then I started to make variations on streamers. I just can't put the bobbin down.
Today I found myself going through my tackle box and picking out old beat up rooster tails and re-tying the buck tails, and adding tails to some old Swiss Kings that I own.
Is there no end to this madness? LOL
Jim

I'm at the point that My son's stuffed animals are missing.

Trying to figure out how i can get my hands on that garbage man's jacket.

Collecting hair from the barber.

I notice things around and say to myself boy that would be great dubbing, or hackle etc.

The other day i was at a friends house and his wife started brushing the cat, i broke into a cold sweat and started shaking. LoL

Wait it get worst. I'm into to furled leaders now and it gets worst.

At my cabin i wrapped 1" copper tubing around the coal stove smoke stack that goes into the chimney, like a bugger body, with a 2 foot tag end on both sides. and put a release valve where the cold enters the coil, so if it backs up, well it don't make it to the pump. All because of a bugger. For the first time in 30+ years there is hot water.

The other day i stopped by my friend resturaunt. To long of a story but the bottom line of it is he asked me if i knew how to tie a knot, i F*$#in half hitched it.

Its not an addiction, its a disease.

jim no there is no end you just have to buy materials in moderation try craft stores that will save ya some money stay away from pipe cleaners they rust

Ah umm The undercoat from an American Eskimo (which I own) ......great dubbing...............I'm doomed.

Oh it'll end for me one day when the wife kills me. The other day she looked under my tying desk and said look at all these little dust balls I just cleaned. I said don't throw them out I was wondering where that dubbing got to!

Jim,
Great stuff eh?
Glad to see you're "re-tying" your roostertails. If you've been a long time fisher of conventional gear, you'll find your new found fly tying prowess has applications for spin fishing too. While the overwhelming time I'm fishing freshwater I'm FFing, I "tie" a lot of stuff for spin fishing too - esp saltwater applications. You can make some excellent hair jigs as well as in-line spinners in sizes suitable for small stream trout up to muskies.
Enjoy your addiction.

Fishidiot, Hey funny you should mention that. Because today I was tying up some jigs. I had dozens of #8 and # 6 jigs I had got some time ago for practically nothing. They were pretty much useless, and had a cheap little propeller type spinner and a bead on them. So I broke the props off and tied some fur, hair and flash on them. Some guys are going to meet over the lake in a couple of weeks to introduce me to ice fishing; I figured I would hand them out there and give them a try.

So glad to know that I am not alone in my additction.

a few years ago we where slow at work so i was even taking my travel tying kit to work and tying there,

Hello,
My name is Bill-and I am a fly tying addict.

Hello Bill, I too, am addicted to fly tying.

Back