Head Cement

E

EA88

I just wanted to see other peoples opinon on head cement i generally dont use it except for buggers and streamers for a glossy effect, I feel it affects the floatability of dries and that a good strong whip finish is just fine

It's unnecessary IMO. It clogs up the eye of the hook, and it makes a mess.

I use it always. I never learned to whip finish and have been half-hitching my fly heads since 1964.

No offense intended, but I kinda see head cement like one of those religious license plates you sometimes see on cars. I can't say for certain that it really does any good, but it can't hurt and makes me feel better.

i use it, just a small touch with a needle doesnt hurt it floating or clog the eye

I like it...it smells good... I don't completely trust a whip finish after the first trout...teeth cut thread...I run a piece of wire thru the eye while the cement is still wet or before I take the fly out of the vise. I don;t like when it gets thick and I have to thin it...

It depends on the fly, but generally don't use it except for streamers. Maybe i'd be better off using it but I'm lazy - its one more step and its messy for me to deal with.

I really haven't had much of a problem with the knots coming undone - the rest of the fly seems to get chewed up by fish or by snags (for nymphs) before the head knot gives way for me.

I use it especially on mayfly nymphs...on the wing casing and on the thread. I grab a dab on my bobkin and drop it on. I don't use it on all my flies but it def. has a place in my arsenal!!!

I never use to, just a couple of whip finishes.
But then I got a dispenser bottle and like it. My buddy told me it would work for flies down to a size 16, but I've used it on much smaller. Plus it will never get thick in that bottle.

BTW, A heinz ketchup lid has the same thread pattern as most head cement bottles. so insead of unscrewing the entire cap, letting in a lot air. The ketchup lid only lets in a small amount of air.

If im not using head cement ( GRiffs) im using super glue, or epoxy for salt water flys. Why spend the time to tie and have the fly unravel???

I use it 90 percent of the time. I agree with Tom I don't like it when it gets thick and i have to thin it, but I do think it is worth the few seconds to finish the fly off. I use to have problems with it clogging eyes, but since i make sure I keep it thinned that has not been a problem.

I use the Loon waterbased stuff. It comes with a needle like applicator. Just one drop will do ya.

I use it. It makes your flies last a lot longer and saves you money. Tomgamber, I wouldn't be smelling that stuff too much. Might start seeing some funky stuff ( ;

I use it on all my flies for the shop, makes you feel good after awhile too........lol...............

Fly-Tite from Feathercraft. Viscosity of water, seeks right into wraps. Does not clog eye of hook. Applies easily, I use one of those fine pointed dispensers. One of the favorite items on my bench, a really good product.

Oh yeah, no chemical smells at all.

Use it on nymphs and streamers. Not on very many dries or wets. I thin it out a bit and I don't want it wicking into hackle.

Use lots of it.

I use it when I have it, which is most of the time. I too feel a whip finish is all you need though. As far as flies unravelling, most of mine are from multiple hookups and not lack of cement. Anyone else believe that trout will "taste" the head cement on your nymph and spit it out before the hook set?? Couple of old timers I know swear by this last statement.

JH

I use it if I have it--then I pull a piece of hackle (that I'm not proud of) thru the eye to clear it out.

flyfishermanj wrote:
Anyone else believe that trout will "taste" the head cement on your nymph and spit it out before the hook set?? Couple of old timers I know swear by this last statement.
JH

Did you ever catch a fish on a nymph you tied that had head cement on it?

Old wive's tale.

Yea they would probably spit it out because it's hard, has a cable tied to its head, and has a sharp metal object pointing forward roughly 1/3 of its body.

Look at the plus side, if a fish spits it before you realize there is a strike, you wouldn't have known. This happens to that "90% who don't catch."

Back