Grey Hackle Feathers

Rich82

Rich82

I'd like to tie some grey ghost streamers this winter but can't seem to find grey hackle feathers. Would anyone know where I could order some?

Can't you just use a dun hackle?

BelAirSteve wrote:
Can't you just use a dun hackle?

I agree. You can get dun in different shades. Go to Whitewater flies or Feather-Craft and see what they have.

Thanks. That was my plan if I couldn't find any grey hackle. Before I went that route, I wanted to see if anyone knew of a place that actually sold grey hackle. I've looked all over and I guess everyone just uses dun. Thanks again!

Rich.........light dun is pretty much grey , don't mail order hackle it's a big investment and you wanna see what you're getting , go to a shop for hackle , that way you can never be dissapointed , allthough Sandfly and blueheron both run shops and i think i'd trust the two of them enough to mail order hackle from them , in other words if you told them what you wanted i don't think they'd dissapoint you with what you got.

Depending on how long of a fly you want to tie, you can pick up a pack of strung saddle in medium or light dun or gray at quite a few places. Not very expensive either, at least it didn't used to be. What is sometimes referred to as Salt Water Deceiver quality is probably ideal.

Sorry, I don't have a shop but I would buy a dun rooster neck in a lower grade to cover everything from dries to streamers.

http://feathersmc.com/products/Rangeley%20Streamer%20Saddles

Don't waste your money on strung saddle hackles - there's more junk in those bags than usable feathers. And the stems on rooster hackles are too stiff

I need to clear something up here it's Sandfly and BelAirSteve that have the fly shops , sorry about that blueheron.

osprey wrote:
I need to clear something up here it's Sandfly and BelAirSteve that have the fly shops , sorry about that blueheron.

Whoa...I didn't mean to imply that I had a shop. In another thread, I mentioned "My shop." What I probably should have said was "The shop I buy from."

Sorry for the confusion.

Steve

Thanks for all the advice. I tied three up last night using rooster cape hackle in light dun, medium dun and dark dun. Osprey is correct, light dun definitely looks the best. I think it has something to do with the contrast between the hackle and the orange body. Medium dun isn't too bad but the dark definitely has a blue tint to it. However, that could just be the cape. I'm actually relieved; I don't have to spend more money on hackle. Thanks again.

I bought grey from Hille's years ago and they either have it or will dye it for you to your specs. they may even have some in stock.

Back