Golden Stone Flies, looking for simple ties

franklin

franklin

Several recent threads on Golden Stones recently got me thinking why I don't fish them more. Well it's partially because I tie the more complex pattern with the biot tails and antennas and turkey feather wing buds. They take a little more work to tie and as I fish many heavily weighted I loose a lot. I'm looking for simpler ties that still prove effective.

Any suggestions?

https://www.bigyflyco.com/Brooks-Golden-Stone-detail.htm

What about the Brooks pattern. I thought the same thing after my weekend at Penn's. Managed 2 Woven Patterns. I lost the crappy one almost right away. The nice one was good for three fish before the wing case broke. I think I am going to tie some of Brooks patterns which are tied "in the round" but with more brown. Probably with Yellow underbody then thick brown dubbing or some kind of yarn wrapped around.
You could use this one for dirtier water and your nicer ones for when the water clears.

Simply a pat's rubber legs in golden stone color chenille and legs will do the trick. I use them from the Lehigh to Penns with great success. Way faster to tie than any Kaufmann style stonefly - although these obviously look more realistic. But do the fish care? Not from what I've noticed.

I think antennas are a waste of time and effort.

Second the Pat’s rubber legs.

i just use a crackleback or yellow wooly worm.

Does anyone have a video for the Brook Stonefly and the recipe? Thanks.

Pat's rubber legs. Who is Pat? They were always referred to as a Girdle Bug

falcon wrote:
Pat's rubber legs. Who is Pat? They were always referred to as a Girdle Bug

The Pat’s Rubber Legs was created by guide Pat Bennett*—of Hyde Outfitters in Island Park, Idaho—building on other big stonefly patterns, such as the Girdle Bug.

JackHammer wrote:
Does anyone have a video for the Brook Stonefly and the recipe? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX0mW6USMMQ

Both the Brooks Stone and rubber leg stone mentioned above are great simple patterns. Check out the box canyon stone and George Harveys stonefly nymphs. These are easy but slightly more realistic patterns. I tie a modernized version of the Harvey stone substituting biot tails, a thinskin back and a bead.

Back