Give me some feedback

wayne32pa

wayne32pa

I've started a little project after becoming frustrated with continually searching the web for Fly Patterns, I've decided to try and collate as many patterns as possible on one easy to use site.

Now I need your help fellow Fly Tying/fishing nuts :)

http://www.wrmdesign.co.uk/apft/

It's still a work in progress, but I'd appreciate any feedback or patterns and photos you guys are willing to share, you will be accredited as the designer or supplier of the patterns accordingly.

I want to get the site live by the end of march

cheers guys

Nice site. As soon as I get some pics and recipies finished I'll send them to you. Not to take away from your site, but this one is a very good source for patterns, http://www.danica.com/flytier/

thanks flybop, I'll keep you posted on it's progress and feel free to send me patterns whenever I'll be sure to upload the as soon as I receive them.

I'm basically wanted peoples feedback as to whether it was a resource they would use, I know I will even if no-one else does :)

Come on guys I just want you opinions :)

Wayne, do you only want sweetwater ties, or will you take saltwater stuff too???

Hey Fish Tank,

any ties welcome :) just supply me images and recipes and any variations you have and if you can how best to fish the fly And I'll upload them for you :)

They look like great patterns by the way :)

Nice site, easy to navigate around. Hope it takes off for you. I'll be checking it too.

I'm also open to ideas on what people are looking for from a fly pattern site, I'm planning on making the patterns downloadable in PDF format and I was also toying with the idea of selling flies but thats a ways off but if anyone is interested in selling there flies on here then let me know.

If you could find a way to elegantly handle the fact that you're going to get 50 completely different and unique ties of some of the more popular patterns, it could be good.

If you could search by material, it would be cool. For example, I just got a bag of black biots for stoneflies. I tied a dozen, now have a bunch of biots left. If I could search for patterns that use them, it would be pretty useful.

Cheers JayL I'll see what I can do :) I think the way around the 50 fly conundrum would be to ask to see a few samples before committing to sell the flies... Plus I think it prudent to use tyers with experience in commercial tying too... But as I say I'm just toying with that idea, I initially want a site fellow tyers and fly fishing fanatics would use as a resource. ;)

JayL I think I may have a solution to the materials search how about a site search that you can type in your materials and it will provide you with links to the relevant patterns on the site

Hey guys,

try the material search on the home page I will add to the others shortly

be very careful on selling you have to pay a tax on flies....i have close to 4000 patterns in one data base alone..i wouldn't know which ones to send..

Hi Sandfly,

Thanks for the advice, in terms of what flies to send whatever ones you like :) they're all welcome

Why not get a program like super fly and add your patterns into that , then you can look them up whenever..you can also use patterns from the web..http://www.erobillard.com/SuperFly/

that looks real useful unfortunately I'm a apple mac man :(

Wayne,

Cool. That's about what I was picturing.

Don't forget some of the more obvious patterns such as the green weenie, wooly bugger, and san juan worm. Also, a caddis pupa, partridge soft hackles, copper john, cranefly larva, glo bug or mcfly foam egg, parachute dries, the comparadun, cdc comparadun, and some emergers. I don't have exact patterns, but the ones I do have are usually from www.charliesflyboxinc.com
Just thought I'd give some ideas for flies to add that alot of beginning tiers would look for(like me).
I'll see if I can put together some patterns and send them to you, but I guess I'm not really the best person for the job.

sandfly wrote:
be very careful on selling you have to pay a tax on flies....i have close to 4000 patterns in one data base alone..i wouldn't know which ones to send..

I looked over the site and didn't see where he is selling flies. If he is... wag of the finger, Dave doesn't like people using the forums to solicit their businesses. We may have to yank the thread.

As for feedback on the site. I'm not crazy about hot pink for a flyfishing site's color scheme. I don't know if you have to use, what my wife describes as "mud colors", but I would go for something more natural if possible.

In general, I'd say you're plowing well worked earth. The fly pattern archive on www.Flyfisherman.com is enormous. They have a lot of good photos along with the patterns too. And that's not the only place there are a lot of patterns, Hans Wellerman has a good site, FlyAnglersonline.com, and others. Then again, I tend to tie my favorites over and over instead of tying the "next big thing". For instruction, you can't beat Troutflies.com and FlyAnglersonline has some great articles and other features for tyers.

I was a little disappointed in some of the descriptions of the flies. For example Bibio. Is that a parachute? I can't really tell if it is a "postless" parachute or if the hackle is attached some other way. From the photo, it would appear the hackle does not go around the shank, but I can't say how it is attached.

I think you are going to out grow the pattern organization scheme in short order. You may want to group them by dries, emergers/wets, nymphs or traditional, new patterns or attractors/imitators or what have you.

I aplaud all the effort. What you have is very workable for the size it is now. The photos are excellent. And most of the descriptions are very good.

Hi Padraic,

Thanks for the feedback I will take in to account all of the advice from the guys on the forum and endeavor to improve the site further to launch, as for selling flies it was an idea but I think it would be futile as there are a number of reputable fly distributor's already I just want to create an easy to use and comprehensive pattern site for fly tyers and fly fisherman alike. Ideally I'd like to focus it more on PA specific patterns which I think would help new tyers and fly fisherman to learn more about PA's best patterns.

wayne

Back