Fun With Mylar Tubing

F

Fishidiot

Mylar tubing is essentially a plastic tube constructed of woven tinsel or chrystal flash with a contrasting plastic or tinsel color. This creates a neat effect that replicates scaling on baitfish and reflects sunlight in the process. A good way to tie streamer fly bodies utilizing mylar tubing is to cut a section of the tube that is about one third longer than the hook shank.

STEP 1: Cut a slit in one the end of the tube about one third into it. Tie the tail of your streamer fly on at the bend of the hook.

STEP 2: Push the hook, eye first, thru the tube starting at the end with the slit. Push the tube back over the hook and seat the hook bend into the slit. This will allow about one third of the tube to extend past the hook bend.

STEP 3: With the tube over the shank, the slit will be slightly wedged open allowing the tail fibers to slide into it. To prevent this and ensure your tail streams back naturally, use you fingers to pull the fibers straight back out of the tube; turn the fly upside down, and seal the slit with a flexible drying glue like Softex or Devcon Weldit.

Below are some finished examples of this method. The top two are sand eel patterns and the bottom is a marabou tail Clouser type fly for bass.

Attachments

• Mylar Flies.jpg
    Mylar Flies.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 14
Nice flies!!

I tied some flies similar to the top 2 but I really like the bottom fly.
I will have to give that one a try.

Back