Fly tying vises

billfrech

billfrech

I have been researching this question on the web and it seems a bit like a holy war.

If you could only have one vise to tie primarily freshwater but occasionally saltwater flies would you choose Renzetti or a Regal vise? And any model preference?

I am weighing alternatives

i've only tied on the regal rotary , it is very simple and bullet proof and i will never wear it out , simple hand squeeze clamp (no adjustment) ties down to 22-24 without midge jaws then of course after that u need em . heavy pedestal base so i can take it with me if i need to tie in a hotel room or in vehicle , thats why i chose the pedestal (has trays on the pedestal to put your hooks and beads etc. in too ) awesome vise as others have already said on here before

Regal. The lack of caring about fussing it to hold a hook fits my laziness, and its just so very convienent.

Which model? Not the true rotary, but the one you can turn over to examine the underside. Base or clamp as you see fit.

I started a thread about this not too long ago. It should still be on the first page of the sub-forum. There is a lot of great info on there. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the Anvil true rotary.

"Griffin Montana Mongoose" I tie everything on this vise from #2 Streamers to # 24 Tricos. No complaints! American made and a lifetime warranty!

Just to add to the confusion and complexity, I've been tying on a couple of Renzetti Travelers for the past 15 years or so. They do everything I could want in a vice. Although it does seem like the price has creeped up since when I bought mine.

It funny, they look to me to be built for fairly light duty, but I don't know anyone who has worn one out.

Renzetti!!!!

The Renzetti will last. I know a guy that has one of the first ones they ever built from the early 70's and he still ties on it today. He tied commercially on it for years as well. I love my Traveler. I would opt for the base though. Sometimes table edges aren't conducive to the clamp.

Hey, like anything else it's personal preference. I own both a Regal and a Renzetti Traveler. The Regal is relegated to my traveling kit and my Renzetti Traveler stays on my tying desk. I've used it to tie thousands of flies for close to 20 years, and it works as well as the day I bought it.

i own both. have tied thousands of flies on both (and another thousand or so on my dyna-king.
the regal is on my bench. it goes into my luggage when i travel as well.
the renzetti stays in the drawer unless someone is using it as i teach them on my regal. and the dyna-king stays in the drawer unless i'm tying tarpon flies or muskie streamers.
my preference
gut

Regal, I do all my tying on it. I have tied comercially on it for the last 20 years and I love it. Easy quick and handles 3/0 to tricos. Tied quite a few half and half's off of this old vice.

I have the Renzetti traveler and I tie tiny trout flies as well as flies up to 2/O for saltwater. You can tie just about anything except for large shark flies on it. Great vice for the money.

I own an Atlas Apex. Its a pretty goos alternative to a renzetti or regal. Might not have the prestige, but it was a tank. Stainless steel construction. Hold very small flies easily, Ive had 24 in them and it can def go smaller. Best part is its only a $100.

I wore out my traveler, along with a few others. The Anvils are the way to go. Had an apex which I sold to a customer that needed a vice bad for a trip. Now have to get the apex.

afishinado wrote:
Hey, like anything else it's personal preference. I own both a Regal and a Renzetti Traveler. The Regal is relegated to my traveling kit and my Renzetti Traveler stays on my tying desk. I've used it to tie thousands of flies for close to 20 years, and it works as well as the day I bought it.

In 2008 and 2009 I tied over 2000 flies each year. Over that time I found my preferences changed to the point I use different vices depending on fly style and size. Others tie much more flies than I but bang them out on a single vise. As afish says above you really have to try out a number of vises and determine what works for your style.

Back