Fly tying materials online

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I have no doubt that this question has been answered a million times on the forum, but with the way the search function works, I can't find a thread about it. I'm brand new to tying (actually haven't tied a single fly yet), but am in need of a few materials to start. I bought a partially complete tying kit, but I still need some things like thread, wire, etc. I also need tools like fine tip scissors, possibly a whip finisher. Any suggestions for cheap/reasonably priced tying materials online?

www.jsflyfishing.com

bearsden.com

scott and sarah are very knowledgeable about & buy good feathers, bucktails etc. & will back order stuff for you. and they only charge the ACTUAL shipping cost which is important when you just need one pack of hooks or one bobbin of thread.

double post. so here's a pic of big bow :

normal_img_1730.jpg

whats wrong with a local fly shop?

otherwise

bears den

j stockard

feather craft

the fly shop

hook & hackle

bearlodge angler

blue ribbon flies

performance flies

allen flyfishing (for hooks)

outfitters who happen to have a fly shop in the store

cabelas

gander mountain

bass pro shop

dont forget about your big box craft/hobby/sewing stores. they are excellent places to get fly tying materials

that should get you started

if you are just starting out I'd recommend a visit to a fly shop. you can ask questions about the materials and get other tips. Rabbit or beaver? partridge or grouse? Z-lon or spooled antron? Is loose muskrat fur better than taking it off the pelt? uni-thread or UTC strand thread?
Typically there is no significant savings (well, hooks and beads the exception), but you can get an education if you visit the right shop. More than beginners could benefit. I've been tying for 30 years and I recently got a great recommendation for a new style of hackle pliers from the staff at FFP in state college.

there's a TCO in reading, and probably other ones in your general area as well. go there.

Gfen is right, take a trip to West Lawn and visit TCO. It's about as good a fly shop as you're going to find. The only other option in our area right right now is BPS in Harrisburg. We're hurting for fly shops in the Lancaster area. Hopefully that may change in the future, but for now TCO or BPS are about the only choices if you want a "brick and mortar" establishment.

I know you asked about online but if it's not too far it would be better if you could go to the fly shop in your area. Then if they don't have what you need and can't or will not order it for you then go online. You can order from Fly fishers Paradise online, Steve will also send you a catalog if you wish.

Yeah if you are just starting out I would go to a shop tco or bps as some has said. Both of those shops will help you in more ways than you can count. But do yourself a favor go when you have some time to spend just hanging out there a little, if you are in a hurry you will not get a lot of benefit.

After you get your feet wet you will have plenty of opportunity to shop online and other posts here have given up some great places to ship. Have fun!

Yeah if you are just starting out I would go to a shop tco or bps as some has said. Both of those shops will help you in more ways than you can count. But do yourself a favor go when you have some time to spend just hanging out there a little, if you are in a hurry you will not get a lot of benefit.

After you get your feet wet you will have plenty of opportunity to shop online and other posts here have given up some great places to ship. Have fun!

perrycountypappy wrote:

+1......good post

Thanks guys. I did make a point of stopping in at two in reading the other day. I like how they have all their materials laid out and organized. Made it easier to figure out my options. They has some pretty reasonably priced hooks too! Didn't end up asking many questions there though - I had other errands to run in reading . I'll have to make a point of going back there and asking some questions. I also ordered some materials from bears den.com. Good prices and shipping was really cheap.

Back