Fly Tying Books.

O

outsider

I went through my fly tying books this evening and found some "real treasures", including the first book my father bought for me when I was in my early teens - Fishing The Nymph by Jim Quick, copyright 1960.

I started tying and fly fishing in 1962 at the age of 11, and it amazes me how interested I was in tying and fishing nymphs. I used to go to the local stream and turn over rocks just to study them. When I look at some of the pattern sketches, it is small wonder that I developed my own patterns.

I have 20 fly tying/fishing books most are very old. A sampling:

1) How to Take Trout on Wet Flies and Nymphs - Ray Ovington 1974

2) The Art of Tying The Wet Fly and Fishing the Flymph - James Leisenring 1971

3) Fly Tying Materials - Eric Leiser 1973

4) Matching The Hatch - Ernest Schwiebert - 9th printing 1974

5) Art Flick's Streamside Guide - 1969

6) Nymphs - Ernest Schwiebert 1973

Both books by Ernest Schwiebert were autographed with a few words and signature by the author in 1979. His notes in both books were signed off : Shillington, March 1979. Nymphs was the most influential book about nymphs that I ever purchased. It set a new standard, and I still look at it today.

I have a 1960 copy of "Fishing the Nymph" by Jim Quick. Great old book with lots of good info.

I can relate, the vast majority of my books are generally about PA or northeast US, although I have few books of western authors some of my favorites being of Lafontaines work such as The Dry Fly, and Caddisflies. My most influential book years back was Fishing the Midge by Ed Koch, something about fishing spring creeks with small flies that just clicked for me.

The best tying book I've seen, is called "Tying Dry flies" by Randall Kaufman. He begins it by explaining in depth all about the materiels used.
Then gets into tying specific patterns, showing just about every tying technique you would ever need to know

It came out after I had already started tying flies. But I still found it very helpful

"Fly-Tying Methods" by Darrel Martin, Lyons & Burford, 1987

"The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference," by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer, Frank Amato Publications, 1998

" A Guide to North Country Flies and How to Tie Them," by Mike Harding, Aurum Press, Ltd., 2009

Back