Fish Skulls

D

dubthethorax

Anyone else try these things out? I just started messing with them today. Haven't fished with this one yet, but I'm gonna be chucking it at some browns tomorrow to see what happens.

Attachments

• skullpin2.jpg
    skullpin2.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 11
should do well thats a nice addition to a slumpbuster are they heavy what do they weigh each?
and are there different sizes?

There are several different sizes and colors. Been a part of the team for about a year now. They are a cool head just like the nymph heads. They are heavy and sink rate to outstanding. You can paint the heads as well.

Also, that is a sweet tie!!!

Nice fly Dub. Good idea to test out (cast) any big and/or heavy fly before you tie up a bunch. I tied up some Slump Busters once that taxed a 10wt!!!.....lol

Its a jig!

I have seen these but have no information about weight or such. Would these be legal to use in Special Regs water?

Jim Kearney

trout17 wrote:
I have seen these but have no information about weight or such. Would these be legal to use in Special Regs water?

Jim Kearney

To my knowledge no restrictions on weight in any SR section. Being legal and being practical are two different issues. At some point a sink tip line or poly leader is probably a better option than adding a bunch of weight to a fly.

Are you going to use a spinning rod or baitcaster? I'd suggest a baitcasting reel on a Musky rod.

I have a ot of the Roman Moser ones (which these are based off of) and they are okay.

For trout I like the aluminum ones, but he does sell Tungsten in fish and sculpin shapes.

I use them on my pike flies as well.

I won't buy anymore once these are gone though.

Here's a fly tied with an orginal moser snap head.

Attachments

• M. Kern's Killer Minnow.jpg
    M. Kern's Killer Minnow.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2
Nice fly Dub. Good idea to test out (cast) any big and/or heavy fly before you tie up a bunch. I tied up some Slump Busters once that taxed a 10wt!!!.....lol
[AFISH}
Yep-learned the hard way a fly tie'ers best friend is a good reloading scale-lol

I was thinking more of the "molded facsimile" than weight but seeing Mike's fly maybe not a problem.

Jim Kearney

Dubthethorax- That thing looks amazing. I would love to have a couple of those in my meat fly/night fishing box.

i like the skull dub, did u cast it yet (chuck n duck).

Like the skulls for monster streamers. However, don't bring your thin wall, high tech graphite rod when fishing skulls because if that skull ever whacks your rod you are in trouble.

Yep, I casted it. Had a few follows too..nothing connected though. I have to go back and rethink it a little bit. I palmered too much zonker on the top. Even with the weighted underbody it still stays too high in the water column. The thing took over a minute to get saturated enough to start sinking.

streamer(white fir from dogs tail)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 3
Good looking fly Dub. Is that rabbit or squirrel zonker strips??

Are fish skulls really that good? Hareline sent me some samples of them last year and I haven't tried them yet. Just wondering if they are worth the time.

Back