First Fly Tying Kit

B

BaronvonFly

Hello again folks,

I have been shopping around for a beginners fly tying kit. I will be starting from absolute scratch. I have found two options that look comparable for about the same price. I am just looking to see what some of your opinions may be on either one of these products.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-deluxe-fly-tying-kit-trout-tying

https://www.orvis.com/p/encounter-fly-tying-kit/2bt2

That being said, I don't want to dive head first into it before I am certain it is going to be for me. I am fully aware I would need to add and upgrade this equipment if I continue to tie. I like the fact that it comes with all/most of the tools I would need to start, materials to tie a few flies and an instructional video. By all means, if you feel there is a better or more cost effective way to go about trying/getting started tying my own flies, I am open to hear your suggestions.

Thank you,
Kirk

I have no experience with either kit, but based on Orvis vs BassPro, coupled with the reviews posted, I'd pick the Orvis kit.

It probably doesn't even need said, but be prepared to invest more into gear and supplies, after you get going.

Do you have anybody local that you could tie with, and maybe borrow gear, until you decide what you want? It may help to prevent a pile of unused vises and tools as you upgrade.

That is a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone personally, locally in Lancaster that ties.

I was leaning toward the Orvis kit just for the name. Just wanted to get a few opinions. I am fully aware I will need to upgrade if I continue to tie, but just looking for a budget friendly place to start.

Thanks for your response.

I am familiar with the Orvis fly tying kit. It's has a decent vise which is nothing fancy but holds hooks well. The other tools are decent and useable. The kit provides materials and hooks of various sizes to tie 8 different trout patterns (80 flies total) that are very fishable for PA streams:

-Woolly Bugger
-Pheasant Tail Nymph
-BH Caddis Larva
-Elk Hair Caddis
-Rusty Parachute
-Fur Ant
-San Juan Worm
-Zebra Midge

The provided DVD produced by Tim Flager demos the tools and gives you step-by-step video instructions on how to tie each fly.

You are sure to purchase more hooks and materials as well as replace or supplement the tools at some point, but the kit will give you everything you need to get a good start fly tying on your own.

Orvis stores as well as other fly shops, TU chapters and FFing clubs often hold fly tying classes. Keep an eye out for classes in your area. Most run over the winter.

Good luck on your newest endeavor.

Either kit will be fine. Neither orvis or BPS manufacture vises so they are probably coming from the same place with minor differences.

There's nothing magical about fly tying and there are no more secrets. You can learn to tie from nothing more then watching YouTube videos posted by any number of "experts" out there and a wee little bit of practice.

Jump in and enjoy.

fly tying season is upcoming and your local fly shops might have free fly tying lessons

check that out first

check out the beginner videos from tim flagler

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz42K_a_F18TPXaszSdbGSxp-MXTun_Ga

Buy a good tool kit. Cabelas has one for about 30 bucks.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Standard-Fly-Tying-Tool-Kit/732298.uts?slotId=2

They also have a nicer one. Then buy materials based on the flies you want to tie. Not for economical reasons but to learn and get familiar with need, compromise and decisions about what will do and what is a must. But the tools will always be standard regardless of materials.

take a trip to a fly-shop. They can set you up and give you some tutorials before you purchase a kit.

tying classes are a must.

videos help too
www.youtube.com/user/tctrout

Why are fly tying classes a must. I never took tying classes, my dad never took tying classes, and nobody I know who ties ever took a class. In fact I think most have never taken a class but I could be wrong on that.

I think people don't want to tie or even fly fish because they are constantly hit with how difficult or technical it is. Fact is nothing could be easier and anybody could tie a decent fly in a day. Over time they will get even better and learn different methods. Nothing magical about it and tying classes are definitely not needed in my humble opinion.

You’re probably right Poop. I took them from Bob Clouser when I first started. It shortened the learning curve for me and I picked up a lot of fishing tips to boot. Was fun to get together with a group and talk. And Bob is such a great guy. With today’s videos out there maybe some do not need the classes but I liked them and would do it again. I attended some of Bobby Clouser’s classes at Bass Pro this winter and got relearned in some things. They were bring your own materials but free tying sessions. What’s not to like.

Good article below about learning to tie flies.

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/09/15/how-to-tie-fly-fishing-flies/195423/

Socializing, beer drinking, football and fly tying is a great way to spend the day and is entirely different from classes

I've taken classes from all the clousers, Kelly Galloup, Bob Popovics, Davie Mcphail, Charlie Craven, etc..... the list is almost endless and I've never left my living room. I've learned a great many things from them and I continue to do so.

I rented a couple videos. (Back in the 80s) Even reverse engineered a couple flies...you don't NEED classes. But it might be fun. There's unlimited YouTube videos out there. The round table/beer/get togethers sound like the best way to learn. Keep an eye on the Fly Fishing Events and Meet-ups Forum.

Everybody should do exactly what they think best, about everything...:)

Unless of course, what you want to do is illegal or has potential to harm another person. Or even a dog or cat.

That's a horse of a different red top and you need to think it over first.

Sometimes, instruction in fly tying is not the best idea. I learned to tie from G.L. Herter's big yellow book. That was in 1964. I didn't finish unlearning the last of the useless stuff he taught me until almost 1990.

So, while instruction is usually good, not always...

Now, I have to go clean crappie. I have enough for 3 messes!

Best beginner book:

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying By Charlie Craven - 2008
Hardcover # of pages: 280
Amazon Price - $27.95:
# of fly patterns including variations: 89

Thread on fly tying books:

Fly Tying Books for Beginners

Good reminder, Bob^

A beginning fly tier can click on this site for free. It shows all the basic techniques one would need to get started with step-by-step instructions as well as animations and fly pattern recipes and tutorials:

http://derekspace.net/#basics

That's a great site afish!

Back