Finest Flies of '14

bbillings30

bbillings30

Hey guys,
Check out my latest blog post titled, "Finest Flies of '14." It encompasses my most effective flies on the year. Enjoy!

Why not post a pattern or two here on Paflyfish?

If you do so, we can see and discuss the pattern here if you're seeking feedback or discussion.

Nice little read. I like your adams comparadun.
Looks like you are new here so welcome.

GenCon

Fishidiot Posted on: Today 14:27
"Why not post a pattern or two here on Paflyfish?"
From what I read on here, not the the easiest site to upload photos from. I'm sure more people would if they could.
The flies mentioned have been the finest in my box since for a long time :) good post

GenCon,

I second your thoughts about the Adams Comparadun; it's a great pattern that doesn't get a lot of attention. I also like seeing Higa's SOS, which has been producing a lot of fish the last few years.

The better article is "The Brook Trout Spawn Controversy...", and Brad does a great job of not only sharing his own thoughts, but in contacting others in the field for their input.

Brad - Nice looking site; thanks for sharing and good luck with the blog.

TC

GenCon wrote:
Nice little read. I like your adams comparadun.
Looks like you are new here so welcome.

GenCon

You wrote:

I didn’t fish the stimulator very much this past year because I spent a lot of time fishing pocket water mountain streams where a fly this big is just not necessary. This year, however, I’ll be living in Pennsylvania and I will be presented with a lot of bigger waters with quick runs and big trout, exactly the type of streams where a stimulator excels.

If a #10 stimmie is too big...tie it smaller.

More often than not, all I need for an afternoon of summer brookie fishing on a small high-gradient stream is a spool of 5X and a 35mm film container with maybe 4-6 stimulators in it, about #14. IMHO, best fly out there for the very situation you're saying you don't use it for.

Very enjoyable. Having a child in school in harrisonburg I often thought about fishing down there. This year I will make that trip

Enjoyed the thread on your blog about the FF in the Shenandoah Valley.
My wife and I hiked along Roaring Run during a visit there a few years ago. It is a beautiful area - and I remember thinking that those deep holes should hold some nice fish. And I guess they do.
If I ever get back down there, I will take a rod with me for sure!

Cold. what is a 35mm film container?

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like the article.

"Cold," that's a really good idea of tying it smaller, I'll definitely try that for this spring.

"DryFlyGUY" and "Poopdeck," you'll definitely have to wet your lines in Virginia, there's some great freestone streams in the Shenandoah
Valley.

"Laszlo," I think he means a small film container from an old camera; kinda looks like a pill bottle.

LeTortAngler2 wrote:
Fishidiot Posted on: Today 14:27
"Why not post a pattern or two here on Paflyfish?"
From what I read on here, not the the easiest site to upload photos from. I'm sure more people would if they could.
The flies mentioned have been the finest in my box since for a long time :) good post

The only way that I can see if people are having problems posting photos on here is because they have problems with conducting basic computer functions . The original poster could easily cut and paste his info on this site . So I am to believe that he is using this tactic to get hits on his blog so he can get some monetary gain from his blog .

I too read the article about fishing brook trout through the spawn. I myself fish throughout the winter as much as I can but I do try to stay away from any redds. Most of the holes that hold fish in winter are very deep and can more easily be fished from shore which is nice. Very good articles keep up the good work. I usually don't worry about fishing the fall as I am an avid bow hunter and that is where my time goes in the fall.

I love the golden retriever. I tie something similar in olive for warm water. The sunfish and smallies love it.

Back