Filling up the 'ole spider box

wetfly1

wetfly1

I'm new to the forum and the excitement in anticipation of spring has gotten me back to the vise for the first time in a month or so... I thought I would send along some pics of what my rusty fingers have been putting out! I've been mainly working on filling up my spider and wetfly box lately. I am also including some of my all-time favorite dries and nymphs; with a couple of steelhead patterns as well!

I'm sorry for the amount of pictures... I haven't posted any photos in a while :oops: I'm not trying to go overboard!

Attachments

• coyote greenwell.jpg
    coyote greenwell.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 8
  • iron blue dun.jpg
    iron blue dun.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3
  • greenwell's glory.jpg
    greenwell's glory.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • jasper spider.jpg
    jasper spider.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
  • yellow spider.jpg
    yellow spider.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 6
  • pheasant and gray.jpg
    pheasant and gray.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4
  • partridge and orange.jpg
    partridge and orange.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 6
  • partridge and green.jpg
    partridge and green.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 5
  • starling and purple.jpg
    starling and purple.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 6
  • stewarts spider.jpg
    stewarts spider.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4
  • fox and orange.jpg
    fox and orange.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 5
  • ginger herl.jpg
    ginger herl.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3
  • glass butt caddis emerger.jpg
    glass butt caddis emerger.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 5
  • cdc micro-mayfly.jpg
    cdc micro-mayfly.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 3
  • cdc midge emerger.jpg
    cdc midge emerger.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 7
  • deer hair caddis emerger.jpg
    deer hair caddis emerger.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5
  • snowshoe zebra emerger.jpg
    snowshoe zebra emerger.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 6
  • red hot midget ant.jpg
    red hot midget ant.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5
  • pheasant tail.jpg
    pheasant tail.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 5
  • glass caddis pupa.jpg
    glass caddis pupa.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5
  • big head prince.jpg
    big head prince.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
  • bionic steelie stone (blue).jpg
    bionic steelie stone (blue).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3
  • bionic steelie stone (green).jpg
    bionic steelie stone (green).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5
  • steelhead frankenbrassie (red).jpg
    steelhead frankenbrassie (red).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 5
  • steelhead frankenbrassie (black) - Copy.jpg
    steelhead frankenbrassie (black) - Copy.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
I'd be happy to have that selection in my boxes anytime!

I wish my fingers were that rusty :) Nice work!

That glass butt caddis is pretty cool. Post the materials , please.

FrequentTyer wrote:
I wish my fingers were that rusty :) Nice work!

Post some more after you get the rust off. YIKES!!! Those are all great ties!!!!! Why can't I find good flies like these in trees or on the bottom of the stream. It's always #10 HE and PT's.

wetfly1.............nice lookin stuff there , good cdc work and i know that takes some time to get right , Who is that a picture of in your avatar? Is it Ed Gein?

Want a JOB ! those are great, I could use some in my shop...

Bruno wrote:
That glass butt caddis is pretty cool. Post the materials , please.

No problem!

Size 16 Klinkhamer or any caddis/emerger style hook
-3 or 4 green (or other) small glass beads for extended body
-small bit of antron for the casing over the beads
-olive hareline dubbing to form body in front of extended section
-natural cdc underwing
-elkhair over wing

The idea is to let the beaded part to rest in the film or submerged partially. The cdc and elkhair wing will support the rest of the fly on top. Be sure that the extended body is hanging a bit on the bend of the hook for best effect.

To form the extended body; take a short peice of 4x flouro (or similar) and double it over forming a loop in one end. Next, thread the looped end through 3 or four beads (depending on hook size) leaving a loop on one end and the two tag ends on the other.

Now feed the antron fibers through the looped end, and apply pressure against the antron to hold it in place by sliding the beads flush against it. Attach the extended section to the bend of the hook with a few firm loops. You can now pull those tag ends to adjust the position of the extended body. When you like the position; double the mono over to secure in position. To finish; cover the beads with the antron (ala' sparkle caddis technique) on both sides and secure. Dub a little body on ther and attach your wings and you are ready!

It's a bit wordy to describe, but doesn't take that long to tie... I have found it a good one to have around!

osprey wrote:
wetfly1.............nice lookin stuff there , good cdc work and i know that takes some time to get right , Who is that a picture of in your avatar? Is it Ed Gein?

Yeah cdc is a bear sometimes, but now that I have worked with it a bit, it's becoming a preferred material for me.

Ed Gein? Yep!

sandfly wrote:
Want a JOB ! those are great, I could use some in my shop...

I'll tie some up for you, but I am slow as Christmas!

Nice flies but bad avatar :lol:

Wow. I thought it was Dick Proenneke. I was way off.

Welcome to the board and nice ties. If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for hackle in some of those spider patterns? Specifically, the blueish grey dun colored hackle like in the jasper and yellow spider?

bam wrote:
Welcome to the board and nice ties. If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for hackle in some of those spider patterns? Specifically, the blueish grey dun colored hackle like in the jasper and yellow spider?

Hey thanks BAM! I am really enjoying this group alot so far!

The hackle in question is Starling... can be tricky to work with due to the often weak stems, but one of my favorites and easy to find!

The other hackles are English Partridge, genetic Greenwells hen, barred ginger hen, and medium dun hen. All of the Hen sets are from Charlie Collins hackle farm... beautiful feathers.

wetfly1, those are some really nice bugs--especially the softies.

wetfly1 wrote:
All of the Hen sets are from Charlie Collins hackle farm... beautiful feathers.

I bet I know where you got those Collins hackles!

Thought that was starling. I use it quite a bit on my softs as well but you're right, they can be hard to work with. I was hoping you found a good substitute I didn't know about :) I think most people use starling for the iridescent feathers on the neck and head but for me the most valuable ones are the softer wispy ones further down the back and under the wings.

I like the body on the stewarts spider. Did you just palmer a feather up the hook shank to give it that tapered effect?

bam wrote:
I think most people use starling for the iridescent feathers on the neck and head but for me the most valuable ones are the softer wispy ones further down the back and under the wings.

I like the body on the stewarts spider. Did you just palmer a feather up the hook shank to give it that tapered effect?

You're right! I think it is an underappreciated skin for sure... most would blow right by those nice tan under-coverts!!

For the Stewart's spider I start my silk at the eye. Then I take the starling feather and attach it by the stem w/ the concave side facing up. Next lay down the base to the point and then back to the eye again.

At this point you can do one of two things: Stewart would hold the feather upright and twist it onto his silk, then wrap back down to the point before tying off at the rear of the fly. Option (2) would be to omit the second layer of silk to the eye, palmer the hackle down to the point, and then counter wrap the silk back to the eye tying it off there.

I have done this both ways, and to be honest I think the 2nd option"looks" better (my fly posted is the 2nd way). Stewart's method looks fine as well (maybe more buggy), but when wet I see no difference.

Keep in mind that his recipe calls for brown silk, but I have used Pearsalls 'jasper' gossamer here. Also be sure choose a large enough feather. The stem will be stronger, and you will have enough to get to finish the fly if you are using the twist method.

YoughRiverGuide wrote:
wetfly1, those are some really nice bugs--especially the softies.

Thanks! I have a soft spot for spiders and soft-hackles ;-)

Back