Favorite caddis pupae/emerger pattern

B

bam

Just curious as to how everyone ties their caddis patterns. I like mine buggy. From back to front, i usually tie a shaggy body and rib with mono or wire. Legs are usually a few fibers from a hen back and I like some dark hares ice dub up front with or without a bead.

I found this awesome emerger caddis on youtube. I tie fishing flies but if you want to get creative, he uses some interesting techniques on this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iFxwVW5y1w

Awesome tie, thanks for sharing that. I just have to figure out the correct colors for our streams. I use green and cream colors, his is a little more yellow.

...and where the heck do you think he got that lead foil from? I need some of that.

That was an interesting take on a caddis.Maybe the Klingon Caddis. The segmenting technique was slick, I might try it on a stonefly nymph. I tie the LaFontaine type caddis emerger and a real simple caddis pupae, like a giant midge with an ostrich collar.

JerseyGeorge..............some of the best lead foil can be obtained from anyone who works in a dentist/doctors office that takes x-rays , it doesn't have to be lead either , you can buy copper foil in various thicknesses at Michaels craft stores , little less toxic than lead but it's a little lighter too , i'm sure the fly shops have foil for tying , i'll bet sandfly has it. blueheron........i was checkin out your website for your shop , love the limestone building , couldn't locat an address or location , where you at?

Thanks for the link on the lead foil. I will pick some up!

I tie lots of gold ribbed bead head caddis pupae, very simply tied. Scud hook, green or cream dubbing, gold ribbed. If someone wants a pic I can put one here. Size 14 and 16 mostly but I carry 18's also. I also make the same fly with a body of peacock herl.

For emergers (which was the original question I think) I tie Gary LaFontaines. I have a lot of success fishing them as dries!

I don't have a shop or a website but I do have a two car cinder block garage that I wish was a limestone building.

Let me clarify...I did not mean to imply that I had a shop. A better choice of words would have been "The shop I buy from here in Maryland has it."

That is a great looking pattern. I know I would eat it.

I like this pattern. It is easy to tie and when you look at the picture, it is hard to tell from the real thing.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/sharks-caddis-larva/

Really like that pattern whheff. Nice find. I should be able to bang a few of those out in no time at all

Its a great pattern but I think he was asking for an emerger or pupa pattern not a larvae pattern. Regardless, finding he right color material is the hard part in tying that one. It looks really great.

That picture is really impressive. It IS hard to tell unless you look real close , the thing that comes to mind though , and i'm not trying to squash anything or anyone (that fly looks like one of the boys) Wouldn't a caddis larva in that stage of it's life be enclosed in some kind of case , like sticks stones etc.?

Here is a pattern that I have been using for years.

Most of the time I use it as a dropper off a dry. Also works very good as a swing up (nymping deep) fly at the end of a drift on a tandem rig.

Attachments

• DSCN10740001-175x119.jpg
    DSCN10740001-175x119.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2
tomgamber wrote:
Regardless, finding he right color material is the hard part in tying that one. It looks really great.

tomgamber, I used a Montana Fly Co. antron yarn. I think that any 3 ply antron yarn would work. I used a cream colored yarn with a root beer bead and peacock. It really looks great.

Did you notice he spins rabbit for unto the yarn? Cool effect.

cdc emerger (gray), henryville special , uses feather for the wings , effective when low flying females are depositing eggs , these are the times when the trout are jumping clear up out of the water esp. in oct, and a elk hair on top of the water doesn't even get a second look , tie one of these on , might make a difference fishing a very puzzling hatch !

thats a nice one might try it

Osprey, whether or not the larva has a case depends on the species. Some are case builders and some are free living. This brings up a good question though: Does anyone know how much before they emerge/hatch the grannoms leave their case and do they spend any appreciable amount of time out of the case before swimming or floating to the surface? As I write this my copy of "Caddis Flies" is looking down on me, but I am too preocupied to dig into it.

Back