Favorite bass flies

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I've been a little busy lately and haven't been tying much, but I went out on the Juniata the other day, and had a blast! Now I'm realizing I need to tie up some more bass flies. I did well on an olive wooly bomber with a rabbit strip tail and red eyes (got that pattern idea from DC410), so will definitely tie a few of those in sizes 2-6, but I'm looking for a few more ideas. Maybe something I haven't tied before.

What's your favorite bass pattern? Hook sizes, recipes, and pictures are all appreciated!

For summer SMBs I like a variety of flies that are basically variations of three major categories:

1) MACROS (nymphs, hellgrammites, crayfish): This can include some trout style nymphs such as a HE or PT in slightly larger sizes (#10 is good) as well as the Clouser Crayfish, Holshag Hackle Fly and the Wooly Bugger.

2) BAITFISH: This includes the Clouser Minnow as well as a variety of surface divers and baitfish flies that I've designed.

3) POPPERS: I like cup faced poppers, particularly the long, slender, "pencil" style. You can't go wrong with yellow but chartreuse and "fire-tiger" color patterns also work well. Smaller poppers hook better but, in my experience, tend to hook too many bass deep (I have no idea why this is) so I have moved toward bigger poppers in recent years. Bigger ones tend to have a lower hooking percentage, esp on smaller bass but this is a good trade off in my view. I'd rather miss a bunch of 10" fish than deep hook one 15" fish.

One thing to keep in mind, when tying nymphs and streamers for bass, it's almost impossible to make them too big. Bass like a big meal (this is esp true in the autumn months). Take a look at the lures that gear guys are throwing for river bass - many of these soft plastics, Senkos, and minnow plugs are in the 4-6" length range. To a trout guy, flies this size seem enormous, but they're the right size for bass most of the time. Also, I like stinger hooks in trout streamers but I usually don't bother with them in bass flies. Bass hit the front of the fly so you can have a very long streamer with a hook at the front and you should hook most fish.

Jeremy,

Here is another great pattern. Murray's Hellgrammite. If you google it I'm sure you will find a ton of info on it. It is basically a black Wooly Bugger tied with lead dumbbell eyes (Clouser style). Harry Murray uses back ostrich herl for the tail and black rubber legs (2) tied in out over the eye of the hook for pinchers. Use whatever you have for the dumbbell eyes. I didn't have natural lead ones, mine were all painted .... I think I used red ones. This pattern was very effective for me last season. Good luck!

hahahaha the woolly bomber

mario66pens wrote:

Yea man! Wooly bomber. Google it. It's just a wooly bugger with lead eyes. I guess the name is a little goofy. It's just easier to type out and more concise than "wooly bugger with lead dumbell eyes."

Though it looks like the holschlag hackle fly is also pretty much a wooly bugger with lead eyes and rubber legs. I might like that name better...

jeremymcon wrote:
mario66pens wrote:

Yea man! Wooly bomber. Google it. It's just a wooly bugger with lead eyes. I guess the name is a little goofy. It's just easier to type out and more concise than "wooly bugger with lead dumbell eyes."

Haha yeah I know man, me and john (dc410) laughed about it for a while at the jam. It always brings a smile to my face.

I just use buggers and poppers usually. Keeping it simple.

All black poppers, clouser minnows with some green in them, and black or olive wooley buggers, flash back pt nymphs. That rounds out my bass pack. You can carry more I suppose but their is really no reason.

Size does not matter but weight does.

Subsurface, pretty much the same bait fish patterns I use in salt water. 1 to 3 inches, shad/bunker, minnow/silver sides, and a sunfish pattern tied in the same style, Clousers and a pattern I just rediscovered over the winter, the Calcasieu Pig Boat
Top water, poppers, pencil poppers, gurglers, sliders, large spiders and crease flies. White, fluorescent yellow, fire tiger for poppers and gurglers.
White and yellow for the spiders.

Silver zonker

zonker.jpg

Brown and white clouser with some pearl or orange Krystal flash between the two colors.

I've had a lot of luck with the Todd's wiggle minnow. Attach it with a loop knot.

http://www.fisheyesoup.com/photo_details/12340.html
-D

Seen these at cabelas going to tie them up soon

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 8
How much were those puppies apiece?

My best smallie fly by far is a yellow rabbit strip mudler with a cone head.Tied on a 4 or even # 2 hook. Tungston or brass. Followed by brown over orange clouser or a pink over white clouser. Also hard to beat a good old Micky Finn.

GenCon

lv2nymph wrote:

I don't remember the rest but the game changer was 9.99 :-o

Fredrick wrote:
lv2nymph wrote:

I don't remember the rest but the game changer was 9.99 :-o

Holy crap $9.99 for a fly? That's nuts. I'd be pretty mad when I inevitably lost that thing on the bottom. They are cool looking though.

Thanks for the ideas everybody. Now I just need to get some time to sit down and tie.

Fred, that popper looks B A

Back