E.P.'s Articulated Streamer

T

tctrout

My newest video is out, featuring an articulated streamer. This is another dimension of fly fishing and tying, and one that really has enhanced my game over the last few seasons.

The pattern I share is considered my "base" and I'd love to see more of what everyone here ties in the style.

Enjoy!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7lao0tMMoI[/youtube]

Nice, Tim. Your videos are always informative and professional.

Related general question: How many of you use big, articulated "Galloup-style" steamers in PA?

If so, on what kinds of waters or situations?

Thanks for the kind words re: my video, and to answer your question,
I will use this style of pattern in PA. My hook range is from #6 -
10, and I'll use them in off-color situations primarily.

TC

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Nice, Tim. Your videos are always informative and professional.

Related general question: How many of you use big, articulated "Galloup-style" steamers in PA?

If so, on what kinds of waters or situations?

Fly-Swatter:
I use articulated patterns - many of which are Kelly patterns, but I also really like tying mike Schmidt’s flies, and Chad Johnson’s flies. My favorite being CJ’s sluggo

Typically, I use them when the water is up and off color but sometimes I just feel like fishing streamers. I’ll only fish the big ones in water that I know can hold big fish, but hopefully that goes without saying.

Keep in mind too that just because it is an articulated fly, doesn’t mean it’s 6” or 8” long. Though I do have some double deceivers and whatnot in that size range, they arent used much. I do, on the other hand, throw articulated flies in the 2-5” range frequently. You may be surprised at the number of 10” fish that will slam a 4” fly haha.

I basically just scale down everything that the Michigan and Montana guys are tying. I love tying them and fishing them. Also all these patterns are great for bass and other species, so don’t be afraid that you’ll have a box full of big trout streamers you never use.

There’s a great Orvis podcast with mike Schmidt that talks about a lot of this and I suggest giving it a listen. He offers a great perspective on a lot of “big streamer” topics. One of the big take always for me when I listened was that it’s really just another form of matching the hatch- say your stream is full of 3-4” creek chubs. Welp throw a 3-4” chub looking thing and see what happens. Say your creek is all brown trout with some small baitfish, but it holds some BIG mean Browns- you could throw a baby brown imitation to target the Big boys or throw a small baitfish (and likely have better numbers.)

Basically there is a point where too big is too big, all bravado aside, but too small isn’t necessarily going to entice the bigger fish you may be hunting. So finding what is “big” enough to draw out the predatory fish (and minimize your catch of dinks) but accurate in size to the main forage available in your water is really the biggest thing to consider.

To that point, I experienced this very thing a while back. I was streamer fishing and I came up to a bridge that I know some big trout have been taken. I was throwing a small articulated baitfish pattern about 3”. Nothing. I cycled through a few similar sized flies to see if I could get something to chase- it wasn’t until I sized up and tied on a big meal ticket (very cool fly btw) just shy of 6” that I had gotten the interest of a very large brown who followed it to my feet and spooked. Now, I haven’t seen a ton of small baitfish in this river, but there are a ton of small trout, so in this case, the bigger fly probably matched the more available forage base of small trout better. I proceeded to fish the rest of the day with 5” flies and had 2 more big fish follow - I never got one to commit and got skunked that day, but it was a really cool to see these large fish I knew were around (but rarely see) come out to inspect the streamer.

Sorry for the rambling post but as for hooks- I use a lot of Gamakatsu B10S in sizes 8 all the way up to 1. Typically the front hook is 2 sizes larger than the back, e.g. 1 front 4 back, 2 front 6 back, 4 front 8 back. That’s not a rule, just generally works / looks about right. Certain patterns (for instance a barely legal or a laser legal), I use the same hook for both the front and back. I like the B10S for most of my streamer ties, but some flies work better on something with a longer shank, a 3X or 4x long standard streamer hook, if there are a lot of materials to tie in, or if it’s got a thinner profile.

I don’t think anybody asked for all that, but there is some related info- haha
I’ve been stuck in the office all day, and I’m bored as all heck, can ya blame me?

Also, nice video and tie. I dig that- do you notice any difference between using bigger or smaller beads at the connection point? Jw cuz I used larger beads for a while, and switched to smaller beads recently- I haven’t noticed a difference in action necessarily, but the smaller beads cut down a little bit on weight.

what Jacob said. hooks and all. I almost always fish streamers and have over the last 3-4 years. I just downsize everything to 2 1/2 to 5 inches. I spend a lot of time hunting the fish instead of pounding the banks,actively targeting the larger fish and passing the smaller by. Of course that doesn't always pan out, sizewise.

Javob: Great answer! Very informative. I appreciator it.

Thanks! One thing I forgot to mention which may be helpful to guys getting into the articulated flies is the wire to use for your connection- too stiff and it won’t have enough swagger, too thin and you get a lot of fouling and spinny flies (they will inevitably foul every now and again). Lots of guys get the rio bite wire or similar expensive fly shop stuff- but a good (and better, I think anyway) alternative is beadalon or similar coated beading wire (craft stores, michaels, Joann, etc) in 19 strand .015 diam (important) stainless steel. Can’t go wrong with it, and your fly line will break before that stuff does :) it’s got just the right flexibility vs stiffness to keep ya swimming all sexy, and it’s cheap (like 10 for a spool here in the SE). I won’t use mono under any circumstances as it will go bad on you eventually.

How often do I use big Galloup style articulated streamers?

Only every time out, nearly all day, in all water conditions. So, that's pretty often. haha

Then maybe a name change is in order. D-Streamer maybe. D-Articulated perhaps. The poster formerly known as D-Nymph.

Ha, yea. You're probably right. Things change, fishing styles & habits especially, but sometimes you get stuck with a handle you picked 18 years ago!

Back