Dragons Tooth (Variant)

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

Mike Kinney's Dragon's Tooth
Variant as i used whiting spey for the hackle as i didnt have purple schlappen

Pattern As follows

Hook: Blue Heron #1 (or your hook of choice)
Tag: Silver Tinsel
Body: Purple wool
Ribs: Flat and oval silver tinesel
Hackle: Purple schlappen
Throat: Teal
Wing: Two red GP flank feathers (Tented) flanked by two shorter yellow GP rump feathers
Head: Red

First time i've tied this fly. Didnt quite nail the tented wing, but i'll give it another go soon.
Basically i tie flies to see how they look and to learn new things, usually they're never fished, and just end up lying my bench.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

These flies are beautiful to look at, but do you feesh with them? I would love to see a caught trout hero shot with one of these hanging from the jaw/lip.

I rarely fish...and if so its just locally for small trout, usually the Tully at Reading. I tie the flies for a challenge and to see how they look.

Basically is just for fun...

If it doesn't catch fish its not worth tying. Just my 2 cents lol

In the end, fly tying is an art form and folks can pursue the hobby for practical or entirely aesthetic and intrinsic reasons. May of us do it for both reasons. It's all good. And Eunan's flies will certainly catch fish......although I'd frame 'em rather than fish 'em.

Some years ago, just for kicks, I took several classic style streamers that I'd tied to be framed (they were mostly feather wing streamers with real jungle cock eyes) and fished 'em for a day on the Breeches. The trout smashed 'em. I found that they had a poor hook-up ratio but they looked very nice in the water and the fish definitely agreed. Needless to say, after getting chewed on, they were not fit to frame so I stuck 'em in a fence post by the parking lot. :)

Great tie Eunan!!

JackM...they work just fine when swinging for steelhead in the salmon river.

Back