Deer hair stacking question

1manwolfpack

I wanted to try tying some dahlberg divers and had a question after my first attempt. Wanted to know if anyone had some advice on how to keep the deer hair on the top and not spin around the hook shank. Would putting a thread base down help to keep the hair from spinning? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I just keep my fingers pinched on the bottom so it can't spin, if this doesnt work, hold the hair right where you are going to tie it in, and do tight wraps.

Here's a nice article by Whitlock:

Tying With Deer Hair

I'm still a newbie at tying but for me the solution was pinching really tight, painfully tight, and using your index finger as a backstop.

1. yes to the thread base
2. try and get your thread wraps DIRECTLY on top of the previous one to keep things tight.
3. use a tiny drop of super glue on the thread base/shank before stacking the top portion

I used to have that issue a lot.

2 things that I found really helpful:

cover shank with a thread base in the area of the deer hair tie-in... and give it some "texture" with a top layer of loosely spaced wraps in a spiral. That gives a little resistance to spinning.

tie off with onlt 2-3 tight wraps, and then take the next wrap half way through the short clump (the "head"), then wrap around the hook. seems to "cinch" it nicely.

One of the most important things to remember is technique and thread control.

When wrapping first couple wraps around the deer hair your bobbin should be ABOVE THE HOOK SHANK WHILE TIGHTENING. Once secure then normal tightening wraps can be made.

All of the above comments also come into play and are good, but remember to pull up on the thread when setting the deer hair into position.

Thanks everyone! I'll put the tips to use at the vice tomorrow. I'd post a pic of it wasn't such a PIA, but I'll let you know how I make out

Deer hair is tricky to get started with. It is all in the thread tension. You want to fully encircle the deer hair then cinch down on it, all while still holding the clump. I believe this is similar to what chromid mentioned above.

Give this a try. First lay down a thread base. Then position your hair bundle slightly above the hook shank. Do a light thread wrap over the top of the hair and down the back side. But instead of wrapping under the hook shank, run your thread under the hair bundle only (between the shank and hair bundle). Do your second light wrap over the hair bundle, down the back side, under the hook shank this time, and back to the top. In this position, pull up with your thread. This will tighten the wrap that is only around the hair bundle. Do all of this while holding the bundle securely where you want it. Then do 4-5 secure wraps to hold the hair in place on top of the hook shank.

Jeff

Back