Davy Wotton SLF Master Class Dubbing

C

Cochy-Bondu

My grandson is he11 bent on tying a Sulpher Nymph according to an article that he read in Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing. I think the article was written by a guy by the name of Aaron Jasper. In it, he gives a blend of several colors that as far as I can tell, is only available in a 30 color cube, which is unacceptable to me.

I've searched and searched, but I can't seem to come up with any shops that sell this stuff in individual packets. Can anybody out there know of any shops that sell this material?

The grandkid's driving me nuts. I need some relief.:)

Cochy-Bondu wrote:
I think the article was written by a guy by the name of Aaron Jasper.

Get it right from the source. He's a really nice guy, by the way...

aaron@troutpredator.com

HA,

Thanks for the kind words. Anyone can purchase the dubbing right from Davy. He told me that Wapsi will not sell the individual packages?? Most of the colors in that cube are useful besides this one blue/grey color. I always ask Davy if they put that color in there just to get rid of it! That is one of the better materials for mixing.

If you guys want to try the sulpher blend that I like, it's
70 percent brown caddis
25 percent orange silver midge
5 percent blue uv ice dubbing

don't hold me to the exact percentages as I am only taking pinches o the dubbings and throwing them in the blender. I got the original orange and brown blend from FFP. I changed the dubbing to the seal substitute and added ice dubbing.

Any if you guys going to the Cabelas outdoor thing in Hamburg tomorrow? I'll be there with Andrew from Ross Reels. If you're there swing by and say hi!

Any if you guys going to the Cabelas outdoor thing in Hamburg tomorrow? I'll be there with Andrew from Ross Reels. If you're there swing by and say hi!

I have no idea what this is, but I do know I've got nothing useful to do tomorrow, and the wife is off to visit her parents so maybe.

Cochy,

Give your grandson some sage advice. There is no exact color, especially of a nymph. The color (and size and exact species) varies from region to region, stream to stream, and even in the same stream. Near enough is near enough. If he wants to really split hairs, get him some test tubes and preservative and have him collect specimens to copy them. Get a cheap Wally World coffee grinder and mix your own.

BTW, it's great that Aaron took the time to give you the recipe.

Thanks Aaron. I'm really glad I brought this up. My grandkid showed me the article, and the recipe in the article calls for 5% of UV Brown. Now I see it is 5% UV Blue. I'll be contacting Davy shortly.

Afish....you know how kids are. 43 years of tying, blending and fishing mean nothing to a 12 year old kid that wants to outdo his Pap.:)

Cochy-Bondu wrote:

Afish....you know how kids are. 43 years of tying, blending and fishing mean nothing to a 12 year old kid that wants to outdo his Pap.:)

Good stuff...and I'm sure he will someday. :)

The young man has outfished me many days in spirit and enthusiasm. It's extremely rewarding.:)

Aaron puts up some great tying videos on his site.

As a new tier I have watched them all and learned quite a bit.

Fast, fairly easy, fish catching flies.

afishinado wrote:

Good stuff...and I'm sure he will someday. :)

If he is blending his own dubbing at 12, I don't think there's anything you can do to stop him from outfishing you some day. It's awesome that he's that into it at that age.

Once he gets done taking his mid teen hiatus to chase females, he'll probably be a heck of a tyer.

Back