Crayfish pattern

djmyers

djmyers

Here is a new pattern I put together that I am anxious to try out.

Attachments

• Chain Gang Crazy Legs Crawdad - small.JPG
    Chain Gang Crazy Legs Crawdad - small.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 11
Very Nice

Nice looking fly man! I tie alot of crayfish patterns myself.

Very buggy.

Fish don't care about the color, it's the motion. Trust me i've caught plenty of fish on different color crayfish patterns, some crayfish are an olive color anyhow. (I spent half my childhood flipping over rocks and catching them.)

Don't forget to try that for trout. or maybe that was the intent?

nice tie dean i recently caught some fish on that bead chain caddis that turned out to be a really good fly for me have you ever tried paintitng your beadchain?

I have used the "creative color system" but they don't have a wide range of colors. Thanks for the update on the caddis pattern!

I was just in the mood to try different colors. I tied the crayfish in black, brown, and olive. Never know what might work. I have a friend that ties them in bright orange. Never seen that color unless they are being cooked but it works for him. I got a couple from him and am anxious to try them out.

One variation I tied for this pattern is also to move the dumbell eyes to just below the hook point. I am anxious to try them. They drop more flat/level instead of droping tail first. If you ever watch the real ones they can drop level but have their claws up.

blueheron wrote:
Olive crayfish?

Yep.
I've spent a lot of time watching and thinking about crayfish and in my experience, dark olive is the most typical color range for crays here in Pa.

(At least before they're cooked) :)

I am starting to tie my crayfish patterns with one claw. If a fish sees something in nature that looks defensless or hurt I think it translates into an easy meal. Just some thought.

Dean,

Nice pattern! I think that when crayfish molt and are softer they are more of an olive color. That pattern should hammer them in the conestoga river. Pm me your number, I don't have it anymore. Its soon time for you and I to get out! Again nice tie bud!

Back