Comparadun Hair

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Some real useful info about selecting hair for tying comparadun wings >

Thanks. I love comparaduns. "Good" hair is hard to find. Need to add another variable deer hunting this year.
Cant eat the horns but I can make nice flies with proper hair!

You need to find a "hair mentor," hopefully one who sells fly tying materials.

If you are familiar with the late great Chris Helm, master of deer hair flies; he was my hair mentor.

If I needed hair for some pattern, I'd call him, tell him what I needed and he'd pick it and ship it to me.

Perfect every time... I miss Chris and his wit & wisdom.

I do the same thing with feathers & necks and usually buy from sources that are also "masters" of the materials I am after.

I have found my best results with Blue Ribbon Flies. They sell hair for sparkle duns, X caddis, and stimulators. They tie plenty of sparkle duns and X caddis and really know the right hair for the job.

JeffK wrote:
I have found my best results with Blue Ribbon Flies. They sell hair for sparkle duns, X caddis, and stimulators. They tie plenty of sparkle duns and X caddis and really know the right hair for the job.

I make it my business to stop in to Blue Ribbon flies when I'm anywhere near West Yellowstone. They literally have bushels and barrels full of all types of deer hair to sort through for tying all types of flies. Plus they have a large assortment of all types of other tying materials.

I too have had great experience with the Blue Ribbon hair. That has been out of stock for months. Can't find Nature's Spirit bleached anywhere either. Some natural color out there if you call around.

+3 on BRF- I love their Zelon materials as well!

Deer face mask. yes, the face of a deer skinned out. Years ago, this was famous as the best. Then it disappeared.???

Upcoming hunting season can provide you with a lifetime supply.

Deer needs to be cleaned, dried and sanitized for bugs. I would advise keeping it separate from other feathers and furs. Just in case it was not handled right and gets buggy.

Hair, right between the ears-- as good as it gets. Filet Mignon of comparadun hair.

Don’t forget to dust with powdered boric acid! Used by taxidermists everywhere..

https://thefeatherbender.com/how-to-skin-deer-mask-for-fly-tying/

Just call Blue Ribbon tell them what size fly your tying and done. Blue Ribbon is the best .

Tack-L-Tyer wrote:
https://thefeatherbender.com/how-to-skin-deer-mask-for-fly-tying/

Ha! That's horror movie material.

I had my 6 yr old with me when buying tying materials today, and of course he immediately whips the rabbit mask off the wall. "What is this??!?"

While on this deer hair subject-----Deer tail---- de boned, washed in warm water with dish soap----rinsed clean and washed with a hair conditioner again-- rinsed clean--combed to perfection -----tacked and dried. Lot of work it seems but results are outstanding.

Even with purchased tails--dyed- the smell of the tail acid dye, will go away. conditioner --combing out--dried---will provide you with the most beautiful tail.

Streamers will look "SHARP". Sometimes, a little Glycerin topical combed in will make the hair shine.

I guess, next level to an ordinary Bucktail Streamer. Add jungle cock eyes and it turns to a $7.00 fly.

I like those $7.00 flies. Don't sell them, give them away and end up with bottles of whiskey, breakfasts, cabin for free, lunches, burgers, stop by's, feathers and more!

It is true. In the last month, i was given 4 fly rods, a car, box of flies, numerous coffees, 3 bottles of whiskey, cigs, and about 50 beeps and waves.

How much fiat currency was made-----0. Seems the barter systems live on.

Wealth is in friendship, not in your wallet.

I have been tying leaders like hell, at least 50 a day. Everyday. seems like not many but that is 1500 a month and take that x 12.

No tv, i do look at you tube and here, ebay and amazon. I do like the Dopeamine effect. But it is wearing off.

New people--i say this---- staying in fly fishing---is living in fly fishing. Take a little bit and add some on, little by little.

Stay smooth. Help others and the rewards will come! "Hey, Forrest,
want a piece of candy". Just never know what you get!

Maxima12

saw a pronghorn head today. Hair between the ears, looks fantastic.

if i had a knife, I would be skinning out the prime. It looked nice, real nice, i am sure it would float.

M12, I mean nice.

Not considered by many-----Woodchuck. I love this hair. Easy to work with, stacks nice, makes great wings and i think caddis patterns look better.

Not a whole lot of looking for the right hair. Secret to Woodchuck is getting many shades. Light, dark, medium and almost black.

Clean, cut into pieces, soak in salt water. Pan fry, remove and add to spaghetti sauce and simmer to tender, Meat will be ready to fall of bones.

A great meal to celebrate a great hunt and a perfect fly tying product.

Maxima12

Ground hog is great fur for tying especially caddis

lll second ground hog in spaghetti. Add a bottle of wine and you have a great meal. Younger ones are much better.

Try parboiling half hour to 45 mins and placing on grill with BBQ sauce. Excellent eating.

Back