Caddis Wings ??????

yea-who

yea-who

What is your prefered material for caddis wings ?

Elk hair sometimes deer hair.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm

Turkey tail or hackle tips.

Just about the time I settle on deer hair or elk hair, I'll tie on a Henryville and knock the living snot out of the trout. I can't make up my mind.

Reckon I'll have to set down and think 'er over.:pint:

I usually use fine deer hair tied low but I'll also use turkey tail glued together and cut to shape if I want a real low rider.

comparadun (costal deer) hair.

CDC mostly, but deer hair for Lafontaine sparkle pupa. Festus makes a good case for quill wings though, so I try to have a few in the box just in case.

peace-tony c.

Festus wrote:
Just about the time I settle on deer hair or elk hair, I'll tie on a Henryville and knock the living snot out of the trout. I can't make up my mind.

Reckon I'll have to set down and think 'er over.:pint:

Hernyville, now there a fly thats been in the back of my box for a long time. I have done very well with that fly before. Thanks for the reminder!
PaulG

CDC, I pretty much live and die by it...

Attachments

• 028-175x117[1].jpg
    028-175x117[1].jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 2
Elk hair, deer hair, bundled stiff hackle fibers, flex cemented mallard flank or pheasant feathers, in about that order of preference.

If I knew a duck hunter and could get it free or very cheap I would probably use CDC. The Edwards pattern where he ties in CDC by the tips at the bend, palmers undersize hackle to the 3/4 point, pulls over the CDC for a bubble wing, then finishes hackling to the eye, looks like a pattern I would try.

Borger and Whitlock have written about poly wings but I never liked the looks of them.

Z-Lon first , then coastal deer , then elk , then local deer then CDC for the micros another one that works well is woodchuck/groundhog oh yeah and mink tails and stiff hackle fibers for the fluttering caddis. Try to get the hackle fibers from a spade hackle.

First choice is cdc, second is coastal deer hair.

Most of my caddis are cdc and elks, tied with deer hair.

I've never tied feather wings for caddis.

I forgot about CDC because I don't tie a ton of caddis dries. CDC is my number one choice then turkey tail.

Mainly coastal deer hair in cream and dark grey.

feather wings work better for still or calm pocket water , ride a bit lower and better sillouhette too .

Hernyville, now there a fly thats been in the back of my box for a long time. I have done very well with that fly before. Thanks for the reminder!

The Henryville gets no respect anymore. I usually start off with a Henryville during caddis hatches, then move on to other caddis imitations if the Henryville doesn't produce, which isn't very often.

I hate tying them though. Spent part of the day yesterday updating my selection of 16s and 18s in various colors. Hopefully I won't have to tie any for the next 2 or 3 decades.

Hey festus,

By no means do I expect you to do it, but I'd love to see a henryville tutorial if you get the time this spring. :) I have never tied one.

If you make the jam, I'll give you a brew or two for it.

jayL wrote:
...I have never tied one.

Jay, neither have I, at least not successfully. That's one of the flies I'll gladly buy in a shop, especially the small ones. I've tied some with different wings (CDC, poly, deer hair) but they don't seem to work as well as the original quill wings. Quill wings are my nemesis :evil:

peace-tony c.

A henryville is like the adams of caddis flies - I don't think it's really meant to imitate anything specifically, but is a good all around pattern.
I hate working with quill wings also, and quite tying with them a long time ago. There is so good synthetic materiel out there that's alot easier to work with.

Back