Caddis Colors

John96

John96

What colors of caddis do you guys normally carry? I am working on stocking up my fly box and am looking for some generalist suggestions to cover my bases. I have some olive and cream tied up thus far.

Thanks in advance!

Tan and and apple green cover about 90% of my caddis needs. Maybe add some in cinnamon or grey tones.

I agree with McSneek. I depend mostly on just plain old tan and some various shades of green (apple green, olive, Tully green etc.). I used to tie them up in cream and brown but I rarely fished any of them. I guess black could be a good color to have too depending on where you fish.

Light olive is my most used, but I usually carry a light tan/brown color.

Tie lots of size 16, tan bodied caddis.

The caddis these imitate are very common, very widely distributed.

They hatch most heavily in late April and early May.

But you'll see some around through much of the season.

A related caddis, looking the same, but size 18, hatches late in the summer. I have seen trout get pretty selective, taking the #18 pattern, but refusing the #16, when these are on.

So it is good to have some size 18s in your fly box.

But tie a LOT of the #16s. It's one of the very best dry fly patterns.

Tan and green are my go-to's

I also catch lots of fish on tan caddis - mostly #16. But there are times when a #14 works well too.
Another color that has worked well for me to is gray, in size #16.

The green bodied caddis - rhyocaphila - used to be really abundant on the central pa limestoners years ago. But I hardly ever see them anymore

Then you have the large grannom caddis that hatches for one week in spring - mid to late april. It's dark brown, size #14
And the apple green caddis that hatches during the same time. It's got a light green body with creamy colored wings, size #14.

And finally, you have the october caddis that hatches in the fall - late sept and oct. It's large, size #10 or #12. And is brown and orange

If you plan on fishing the WB,I'd make sure you have some "apple" green caddis in #16 and #18.Every once and a while during multiple hatches there,the fish key in on that color,although there may be very few,if any,of that color hatching.Go figure...

Thanks for the suggestions! I tied some tan caddis last night.

I always have a smaller black caddis in my box. They are often along shore lines late spring and summer.

Dark grey, dark olive, light olive and tan cover most of my caddis patterns, Do carry some apple caddis and in the spring a little black caddis pattern.

Back