CDC & ELK

Fredrick

Fredrick

I love this pattern and this is best way I've seen to tie it. I believe Hans originated it.

The cdc/elk was originated by Hans Weilenmann. I had the good fortune to learn this pattern from Hans himself about a decade ago. It has become my favorite fly, and it works for a lot of hatches other than just caddis. Using the right cdc feathers is key. Trouthunter has the best stuff.

For the folks that like this fly, you owe it to yourself to get some Tiemco Dry Magic floatant. It's expensive, but it works extremely well on cdc.

Is it that much better than going natural, then using frog's fanny to revive?

I might have to check it out.

BIG cdc and elk fan here.

Frederick..........looks like a winner , will definatly try that one out. Do you catch many of those flatheads on that one?

jayL wrote:

Oh heck yeah. Once you put that stuff on the fly, it's pretty much just a false cast to keep it floating high and dry, until a fish slimes it. Cuts down on FF usage quite a bit.

How are you fixed for FF? I got a gallon of it. :-o

No Flatties yet but I plan on searching for some this June

Heritage-Angler wrote:
jayL wrote:

Oh heck yeah. Once you put that stuff on the fly, it's pretty much just a false cast to keep it floating high and dry, until a fish slimes it. Cuts down on FF usage quite a bit.

How are you fixed for FF? I got a gallon of it. :-o

How would one get a gallon of floatant ?

It's fumed hydrophobic silica. I swapped a guy on another forum for a used 6wt fly line I had laying around.

He mailed it to me, and I was just a BIT nervous that the ATF would come knocking on my door. He works for a place that does industrial epoxy work - they use it for a thickening agent.

Not sure what my supplies look like, but I'll swap a few flies for a top off when we meet up next!

No need to give me anything. I have a container ready for you. Maybe we can kick it around Friday night - it's FUN kicking frog butt. ;-)

I tie my "caddis" in a similar fashion. I don't use the whole cdc feather for just one fly. I dub a body, usually tan. Then I add cdc barbules as an underwing followed by the elk/deer hair. It too had been my go to fly. I fished with just that fly from about May through October. It always brings up fish. I guess that is why I have a hard time switching to nymphs.

Does anyone have any experience with Orvis Hy-Float Shake and Float. I want to get something for the cdc comparaduns ive been tying, but I dont think I'll have the chance to make it to Cabela's to get Frogs Fanny. The local orvis shop is about all I have in the area, besides the LL fly shop, but we wont go there.

surveyor06 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Orvis Hy-Float Shake and Float. I want to get something for the cdc comparaduns ive been tying, but I dont think I'll have the chance to make it to Cabela's to get Frogs Fanny. The local orvis shop is about all I have in the area, besides the LL fly shop, but we wont go there.

Andy - I have that Orvis stuff, and it works OK for drying the fly. Not as good as frog butt though.

Charlie's Orvis shop had FF, and so did the LLFS. It wouldn't kill you to run in and buy a bottle - he won't bite. Last I was there, Rod also had some Tiemco Dry Magic. Surprised the hell out of me. The only place I'd found it was A & A Outfitters.

Maybe Ill through Rod a bone, he was actually pretty nice to me last time I was there. He is off and on. He kinda reminds of a cranky grandfather.

The last few times I've been there he's been in good spirits.

If nothing else, I apprechiate the fact that he's there and I like to purchase something when he's got something I need.

I glad he's there as well and tuffing it out. It would be nice to have a real fly shop in LV though. Instead I guess we'll all have to deal with cranky old man and a overpriced clothing store!

surveyor06 wrote:
He kinda reminds of a cranky grandfather.

That's 'cuz he IS a cranky Grandfather! Given the fact that he's a survivor, and a diabetic with no health insurance, I'm inclined to cut him slack. I'm diabetic too, and if not for my $300 a month meds, I'd be a real bear too. Thank God for prescription plans!

I hear ya Ed, I guess its easy to judge. I'll keep that in mind. I guess Id be alittle irritable if I had to deal with that stuff too.

HA,

Man you are lucky! Learned it from the master huh? I had tried to tie this pattern several times before the light went on. The one step that kept throwing me was the technique to tie in the Elk Hair. The 1 1/2-2nd wrap where he pulls the deer hair and spins it is like magic! This spreads the wing out perfect from my experiences.

The right CDC is also key in tying the pattern, Hans referenced Type 1. I have tried both Trouthunter and Hareline and prefer Trouthunter but Hareline is an OK substitute.

Also curious as to which hatches other than Caddis you've had success with this pattern. I have been tying most of mine in the Natural Dun color and the trout seem to like it!

ConMan picked up this beaut on my CDC & Elk, Natural Dun color when I fished with him in Wisconsin.

Attachments

• P4220237.jpg
    P4220237.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 3
Back