Bulk Real Wood Duck Flank Feathers (not barred)

Beats me.
Obviously, a friend who hunts waterfowl would be handy, but you've already considered that angle. Perhaps a fly shop (not in a big box store) might make you a deal under the right circumstances - wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I'd be interested in hearing the answer.

I keep an eye on E-Bay. Bulk wood duck feathers show up pretty regularly.

by "bulk" how many do you mean?
I'm looking at a zip-lock bag of 1 drake's donation from October right across the room from me.

syl

Come pick them up. I live in Warminster....

Flank-L.jpg

You could try Mike Hogue at Badger Creek Fly Tying. He has had bulk amounts of items like that in the past, although it has been a few years if I recall. I got lucky a few years back with Feather Craft out in Missouri as well. They post web specials, and sometimes have bulk feathers from waterfowl, pheasant, and turkey from local hunters it seems.

I tried, but failed at killing some this year. I do have a bunch I can mail you if you need them.

Just fyi, the bag of feathers in the pic are dyed mallard flank, not wood duck flank. I've never seen a bulk bag of actual wood duck flank. Whether the difference in price is worth it is up to the tyer. I usually just use natural or dyed mallard flank for "fishing" flies that will be chewed up anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barred-Wood-Duck-Flank-Feathers-/172436713080

dang, just realized you stated not barred. my fault.

Jerry I have never found a place to get them in bulk. Have to remember wood duck is hard to raise and then pick. kind of like jungle cock they are hard to raise too

sandfly wrote:
Jerry I have never found a place to get them in bulk. Have to remember wood duck is hard to raise and then pick. kind of like jungle cock they are hard to raise too

What makes wood duck hard to raise?

they are not cost effective, think about how they nest above water in trees. a commercial endeavor is very costly. they spook easy from noise or predators which can make them stop laying eggs or sitting. if it was easy the market would be flooding like it is for other ducks. can't raise them in big flocks like others.

Wood Ducks are cavity nesters and will require a raised box for nesting. A ratio of three boxes for every two nesting pairs is recommended. They can breed their first Spring, however fertility is usually better their second year. While their cousin, the Mandarin will commonly trio, I myself have had no success at breeding Wood Ducks in trio's.
taken from a breeder

And that is why you pay more for them.
There have been local Fly Shops in the past that would carry larger bags of the Wood Duck flank feathers, but more and more of them are closing their doors.

Usually when I go to the Fly Fishing Show or the International Fly Tying Symposium there is a few booths that have a larger bag of the Wood Duck Flank Feathers.

Jerry Coviello

Back