Benefits of a long winter

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

The only good thing about the long winter this year is I tied up a lot of flies. Judging from the hooks I've used I'd guess about 1,000 flies. How many have you tied this winter?

About 200 flies and built 4 rods.

I've tied a couple hundred flies and no rods this year.

Ohio, 4 is lot!

I actually prefer a mild Winter -- better for the brookies IMO.

i probably did about 300... i tie for my dad and a couple of my friends too... what are you going to do with a thousand flies? LOL

A lot of them were midges with biot bodies. Since many have CDC tufts so I don't try to coat them with anything therefore they don't last very long. One or two fish and then they get torn up. I also tie for my son and brother. Still a good suuply that will last beyond this season. I'm hopeing next winter is not so rough on winter fishing. I got on the water over 90 days in 2007 and only about 50 last season. This year I haven't been out yet but I do have 7 weeks vacation which will get put to use in the spring.

I tied around 200 or so,like tabasco said,those biot bodies are real nice looking midge patterns.But they sure do get torn up,7 weeks vacation wow i'm envious.Sounds like your in for a good spring,i'd be a fishing machine.

tight lines,
Don

tabasco_joe wrote:
A lot of them were midges with biot bodies. Since many have CDC tufts so I don't try to coat them with anything therefore they don't last very long. One or two fish and then they get torn up. I also tie for my son and brother. Still a good suuply that will last beyond this season. I'm hopeing next winter is not so rough on winter fishing. I got on the water over 90 days in 2007 and only about 50 last season. This year I haven't been out yet but I do have 7 weeks vacation which will get put to use in the spring.

Instead of coating them you can put a dab of head cement on the hook thread base before wrapping the biot. Works really well! :-D I have been doing this since summer and have found the flies last a lot longer. The coating technique works just as well but like you said it'll ruin the CDC.

Back