Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Beetle Patterns
From Gettysburg
I think foam beetles are among the most versatile and effective trout flies. Most of the ones I use are roughly a quarter inch in length, esp for pressured trout. I have an "attractor beetle" that I consider among my go-to flies for mountain brookies. Many folks like a large, visible, dry fly like a Royal Wulff or similar, conventional dry for brookies. With a foam beetle, I get as many rises without the hassle of messy floatants or repetitive false casting. I like a bright colored foam, bright green works well, with orange rubber legs for this beetle. Sizes of about half an inch seems to work best.

Posted on: 2008/11/27 22:11

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

Padraic wrote:
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
I've caught lots of fish on a #14 crowe beetle

As the summer wears on, try them in bigger sizes. PaulG uses some rather large beetles, I think 8's... anyway, he seems to do awfully well with 'em.

I like to use Crowe beetles, in size# 12's and #10's!

PaulG

Posted on: 2008/11/28 6:43

From Pittsburgh
This past summer, I started tying some crowe beetles in #12, and did catch fish on them also. I guess I'll have to try some even larger.
I also use them in smaller sizes. In fact, I've caught fish on #20 beetles when everything else has failed

Posted on: 2008/11/28 8:52

From SE Pa.
Here is a coffee bean beetle I tied

Attach file:

jpg  MVC-001S.JPG (0.00 KB)
159_4930e441ef370.jpg X px

Posted on: 2008/11/29 1:42

From bucks cty
Columbian or French roast?

Posted on: 2008/12/1 21:12

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

beadhead2 wrote:
Here is a coffee bean beetle I tied

beadhead

Good looking beetle pattern! I've heard of coffee pattern before, first time I've ever seen one. Does it last long?

I like fishing beetles and have done very well with them. My favorite pattern is the crowe beetle, they do get beat up pretty fast but they do work. May give that coffee pattern a try, wonder if Maurice ties them.

PaulG

Posted on: 2008/12/2 10:11

From SE Pa.
Have not tried them yet
I tied some for our TU raffle at our meeting and one fellow got them but I don't know whether he fished them or not
tying instructions
Clean groove out of bean (careful beans are soft)
put a thread base on hook
tie in crystal flash for legs (cut thread off)
glue thread and bean
put on hook let dry
pull legs up and glue to underside of bean
coat the whole bean with Sally Hansen hard as nails (clear)

Posted on: 2008/12/2 18:59

From SE Pa.
tjoe
I heard mocha java are the best for the beetle ?

Posted on: 2008/12/3 22:04

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Don't think its bait, especially if you add peacock herl and paint or lacquer the body. I see no difference between this and using cork.

Posted on: 2010/8/18 21:20

From south central pa
I tie and use a lot of beetles. Mine are a little simpler than most of the ones shown above. I use craft foam from wal-mart or craft store. For a size 14 hook I cut the foam into 3/16th inch wide strip. I also use standard dry fly hooks. I feel it keeps them floating longer. Lay down a layer of therad back to just past the bend of the hook. Cut the end of the foam to a point and tie it in at the end of the thread raps. Tie in two or three pieces of peacock herl at the same point and wind it forward to about 1/16th inch behind the eye, tie it off. Pull the foam forward and tie it off at this point. Pull therad tight to compress the foam. Lift the foam an wip finish under the foam. Trim the foam to form the head as shown in one of the previous posts. I do not paint or add dots to mine. I just use bright orange,green or yellow foam. the fish don,t seem to care. In fact these work better for me than the black ones.

Posted on: 2010/8/18 22:48

From South Central PA
I have noticed in SC PA that the invasive stink bug beetles are currently making a big migration indoors. Perhaps that is a good omen of cool weather being here to stay, though a nuissance to your dwelling.

For those that either harvest or pump stomachs, I would be interested to know whether trout (or other fish) are taking these stink bugs in good numbers.

Sorry for the hijack.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 8:38

From Gettysburg
Quote:

DGC wrote:
I have noticed in SC PA that the invasive stink bug beetles are currently making a big migration indoors. Perhaps that is a good omen of cool weather being here to stay, though a nuissance to your dwelling.

I've noticed 'em too. Ants are suddenly on the move around here as well. I think it might have something to do with the extreme heat and dryness that has persisted for so long now suddenly followed but wet conditions. While I've never seen, that I can recall, a trout eating these stink bugs, their general profile - wide and flat - would likely be a trigger. I think beetles and terrestrials are under rated for trout fishing in the fall. Everyone wants to chase olives but, most of the time, I think terrestrials are your best bet in the period up until late Nov for dry fly fishing.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 9:07

From South Central PA
I have, perhaps sadistically, tossed these creeps into spider webs that I allow to persist in certain spots in my apartment. It seems to me that house spiders will trap and wrap these stink bugs, but after a few sucks, cut them loose. Just about anything else, such as silverfish, they will suck dry. Not a valid sample perhaps.

Anyway, if fish react with similar culinary repugnance, the beetle profile that has always been a winner trout fly could temporarily become a turn-off in an area where they enter the water in good numbers, hence establishing a pattern of avoidance for fish, not attraction.

I certainly agree that on first greeting, the pattern profile of the stink bug is too much like every other beetle and will likely get eaten. But, then we have to factor in the stink release and wheher that happens in the stream, and whether that release would result in a last-second refusal by an olfactorily insulted trout.

Just theories of a madman with too much time on his hands, today.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 10:57

From Gettysburg
Quote:

DGC wrote:

Anyway, if fish react with similar culinary repugnance, the beetle profile that has always been a winner trout fly could temporarily become a turn-off in an area where they enter the water in good numbers, hence establishing a pattern of avoidance for fish, not attraction.

I certainly agree that on first greeting, the pattern profile of the stink bug is too much like every other beetle and will likely get eaten. But, then we have to factor in the stink release and wheher that happens in the stream, and whether that release would result in a last-second refusal by an olfactorily insulted trout.

Just theories of a madman with too much time on his hands, today.

Makes sense to me.
There's a big lady bug migration in this part of the state later in the fall, usually about mid-October and I've often wondered if fish key on their profile (or come to avoid it as you suggest) during that time of year. Since I've had great beetle fishing in the fall in past years, I'd hedge a bet that trout seek, rather than avoid, general beetle shaped food sources.
Maybe something to look out for later this year.
Time to flick some bugs in the water. :)

Posted on: 2010/8/19 11:05

From Eastern PA
I don't even know what to say DGC. That last line may sum it up! LOL!

Posted on: 2010/8/19 12:15

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com