Bead body flies

gochs

gochs

So I was wandering around Michael's today, and i found some beads that looked like they could work for caddis pupa. I have enough caddis in my box, but that's just what we do. ::shrug:: So how do I secure them to the hook? Do I build up a dam on either side of the beads, or do I wrap around each one? The thread wrap over each bead would be absolutely appalling to me. So how does everyone use them? I have a caddis-ish green and clear. I was hoping to lay a base of tan thread under the clear ones and hopefully the color would be visible.

I just just wrap a little thread behind the beads and tie off. I usualy use dubbing in the front behind the eye.

Attachments

• IMG_7210.JPG
    IMG_7210.JPG
    463.5 KB · Views: 2
what size beads are these? I am assuming they are plastic beads correct? I am very curious because i think that looks like a good fly. Some more info on this would be appreciated. Thanks

kelso2340 wrote:
what size beads are these? I am assuming they are plastic beads correct? I am very curious because i think that looks like a good fly. Some more info on this would be appreciated. Thanks

The fly in the pic., I used Killer Caddis Glass Beads, small (11/0), Caddis Green (051), on #16 Cabela's (21) hook (same type used for stimulaters). I have some in the same size in Gun Metal (019)., and some in size Medium (8/0), Dorado (040).

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1materials_detailviewer.cfm?productid=25459

If you punch in (killer caddis glass beads) on google you'll get more links on them.

I bought a stack 'o glass beads once, all clear coz it picks up the colour of the thread quite nicely anyways.

4590642339_82625944bb.jpg

4591262594_8dff026b96.jpg

4590642287_d3f430ff8f.jpg

4591262500_cf02302936.jpg

(extra crafty on that one, eh?)

To be honest, most of these things languishedin a fly box before they were just sacrificed in multifly, weighted-to-the-bejesus rigs. They always seemed liked really good ideas, but I never had much faith.

They'd go down, though. Minimal to no dubbing and all glass bead meant there wasn't much to keep 'em floating. If you whack 'em off rocks, the beads shatter though.

Ruh roh. Mine are glass, too. I got a tube of each color for like $1.50 each. So if they don't work out, oh well. They look fun, though. And I'd like to think they make me a crafty fly tier.

i am more curious as to what size the beads are from Michaels though. You could probably get quite a few of them for a reasonable price compared to the fly shops

kelso2340 wrote:
i am more curious as to what size the beads are from Michaels though. You could probably get quite a few of them for a reasonable price compared to the fly shops

the size is 11/0 Seed Beads. They look like they'll fit on a size 14 hook.

I use size 6/0 to 11/0. You will use them and they sink very fast, as for durability, they don't last long bouncing on the bottom, snag a lot of them, but they are easy ties. If I get a chance, I'll post a few patterns that work for me.

JH

gfen wrote:

I bought a stack 'o glass beads once, all clear coz it picks up the colour of the thread quite nicely anyways.

(extra crafty on that one, eh?)

To be honest, most of these things languishedin a fly box before they were just sacrificed in multifly, weighted-to-the-bejesus rigs. They always seemed liked really good ideas, but I never had much faith.

They'd go down, though. Minimal to no dubbing and all glass bead meant there wasn't much to keep 'em floating. If you whack 'em off rocks, the beads shatter though.

So the most important question has not been asked...do they catch trout? I haven't really done much with beads.

So the most important question has not been asked...do they catch trout? I haven't really done much with beads.

My answer is yes, I wouldn't say I have had killer days with the patterns, but have landed trout and chubs on them!

JH

BelAirSteve wrote:

i never found them to be any more exciting than simple dubbing on a hook.

gfen wrote:

But they sure do look perdy.

I've tried the glass bead body thing, and decided to stick with either Vinly rib/tubing or dubbing. Fancy and pretty, yes. Effective, not so much, as compared to dubbing.

gochs wrote:
gfen wrote:

But they sure do look perdy.

I see...another example of a fly that is tied more for the tier than the fish!!

BelAirSteve wrote:

Pretty much. If they look good, then I have more confidence in them. I know that prettiness doesn't really matter to a fly, but it does to me. lol

gochs wrote:
BelAirSteve wrote:

Pretty much. If they look good, then I have more confidence in them. I know that prettiness doesn't really matter to a fly, but it does to me. lol

They do reflect a lot of light in the water on a sunny day, the fish won't have any problem seeing them.

For the durability factor, I tie a caddis by putting 4 green beads on a hook, dub a black head and some dubbing between the beads and then put Clear Cure goo all around the fly with some dubbing sticking out. Deadly fly for grannoms. Ill try and get a picture up.

Here's one of my creations using beads.

Attachments

• Peeking_Caddis.JPG
    Peeking_Caddis.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 4
I tie a pattern using red beads for steelhead. Just an alternative to roe. A few beads on a hook and a cream colored egg yarn as a collar. Caught a few fish on it last year.

Back