Bead Head Nymphs -First Generation

T

Tiogadog

I was looking through some older fly boxes and stumbled across some of the first bead head nymphs I tied about 15 years ago. Basically, all they were was a curved nymph hook, bead, weighted under-body, and a single color of dubbing. Think of a Walt's Worm tied in various colors. In fact, they are copied from Walt Young's article in PA Angler.

I then remembered how effective these flies were for trout and instantly started to wonder why I no longer fish the patterns.

Does anyone still fish bead heads of a such a generic origin?

I intend to work them back into the rotation this year.

Definitely. At least olive. The olive beadhead is extremely effective, given our caddis-rich waters, and I see no reason why it has to be any more complicated than a curved hook, a bead, weight to your liking, and olive dubbing!

They only work with a cdc hackle.

yup. olive, black, hares ear and red BH nymphs are my go to's.

especially in clear water - sping creeks or tailwaters. no flash, no UV dubbing, no fancy tail work, just fine as they are.

Frank Sawyers Killer Bug is about as simple you can get and still works, as does other simple flies like The Usual, F Fly, and one french one i've never known the name of but is a single CDC feather on a Hook.

Beadhead Walts Worm worked great then, and now.

I use the smaller sizes more often now then when beadheads were a new thing.

After the trout have seen a lot of beadheads, I think the smaller ones work better.

I agree with T-bert and would only add that the ones with duller hued copper beads seem to work best for me on fish that see an above average number of flies. Better than gold anyway. So, when I buy copper beads, I always rough them up with a nail file and then leave them out overnight in the rain if possible before using them to tie.

Well, not really. But I think the duller ones that still have a little bit of flash are better overall.

I guess the only other thing I'd say is that I'm not sure I've ever caught a fish on a nymph with a silver bead. Maybe one, in the mid-90's. I can't recall for sure.

I use the olive dubbing on a hook bead head quite frequently. sizes 14-18

The bead head muskrat nymph is a very productive nymph pattern. Many years ago when I was just learning to tie I tied them underwrapped with weight and no bead (I don't think the bead head had even fully come into play at that time). Currently I like to use the bead for the flash and the weight.

Hook......Bead......Muskrat fur.....Done. Sometimes the most simple patterns can be so effective.

This is all I basically fish. Bead head WW in various shades of tan and colors.

Yep, still fish em. Never stopped really.

its function over form.

i also fish thread flies - hook, thread, sally hansen. done.

Every now and again I'll put a piece of peacock herl behind the bead...but now we're getting fancy.

show off...;-)

geebee wrote:
its function over form.

i also fish thread flies - hook, thread, sally hansen. done.

You must be looking in my box.

very nice.

Back