BWOs

flyfishingNZ

flyfishingNZ

Hi Guys,

Well I have been fishing at spring creek for the past two weeks, but did not have any BWOs with me so I basically presented the trout with everything I had. Did end up catching 4 trout and miss striking on a few. However, I finally got around to buying a grey hackle cape and tied up a few size 14 BWOs (will be doing 16s and 18s later). Also got some CDC for some BWO emerges, which I will put up later.

The BWOs were tied using

6x tippet for the tails
Yellow/olive super fine dubbing hand mixed
Plastic canvas yarn from Micheal's for the wing
Grey hackle

8/0 black uni-tread.

Attachments

• BWOs.JPG
    BWOs.JPG
    859.7 KB · Views: 9
never seen em tied that way before , but whatever works , the ones coming off spring right now are 16-18

Just finished some CDC emerges and small BWOs. Thinking that some small parachute BWOs would be good to include.

This is how I have tied almost all my dries and not had any issues with fish not biting, just need to update the colours for each pattern.

Attachments

• Fly selection.jpg
    Fly selection.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm interested to know if you all mean BWO's hatching now on Center county Spring creek or Cumberland county Big Spring creek?

What kind of hooks do you use? Do you think the black makes a difference compared to the typical copper/gold hooks that most manufacturers make?

The hook manufacturer is Tiemco, will have to check what the actual item codes are when I get home. I got them from fly fishers paradise when I first arrived in State College.

I have not had any issues with catching fish with the black hooks, but I have not done a direct comparison either. Only issue I have faced is keeping the fish on as I am not use to using barb less hooks, but I do love the fast release time.

As long as the fish is hooked tot eh bend and there is constant pressure a fish will seldom shake a barbless.

You are deffinately right about release time. However, release time from the net, hat and/or jacket makes barbless a lot nicer to fish in my opinion.

osprey i was talking centre county spring creek , but the good hatches aren't here yet as far as i am concerned maybe end of the month

an effective pattern on spring creek is a size 18 bwo comparadun tied with dun elk hair as the wing, whatever color olive dubbing you prefer i tie several different colors, and dark dun microfibetts tied split style. They seem to float better than your traditional dry and ride lower in the surface. I caught a ton of fish on this pattern on the 22nd and 23rd.

Back