Any thoughts about shenks streamer

barrybarry

barrybarry

Haven't trimmed these guys yet. Had some success on some smaller trout sized ones. Kinda gnarly, but worked. Dubbing loop rabbit hair, lead wrapped, marabou tail. Trying to tie some larger ones for the river. Size 8. (didn't have any white thread)

I'm thinking, I need to be really sparse on the tail area dubbing loop and then build up heavy on the head. Dubbing loops are my nemesis.

Also best way to trim. I'm thinking trim the back tight then allow the the front to flow over it. Instead of trimming the head.

Attachments

• shenks-streamer.jpg
    shenks-streamer.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 9
Once you've made the body with dubbing loop, whip finish and remove fly from vise. Start by clipping the bottom of the fly first to ensure there is a proper gap, then sides and top. Unlike the Shenk sculpin, the minnow is clipped more streamline. Yellow thread is also a good alternative to white, the red also looks pretty good on your flies to.

"I'm thinking trim the back tight and let the front flow over it instead of trimming the head."

It doesn't hurt to have this pattern in different variations, a larger head to help push water might add to the effectiveness.

I use CCT Body Fur instead of the rabbit fur for the body. It is a synthetic that you need to trim once wound onto the body.

I prefer sculpin wool for the body because it find it more manageable when preparing the dubbing loop and easier to trim. My #1 streamer patter for trout. I love fishing this pattern by allowing it hang up on the edge of a cress bed and jerking it free so that if falls over the side or back of the bed into channel on a dead drift.

Back