Ant Invasion

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Some ants from this winter. I tied about a dozen different color varieties. I bought the foam from Michael's, they're about $2 a sheet of 8 1/5 x 11 1/8 inch thick foam.

All the ants have 8 legs. I basically just cut a little snip of foam for the ant body and it shapes itself when you tie the legs in. Mostly size 18 and 20.

Attachments

• Ants 1.JPG
    Ants 1.JPG
    508.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Foam ants.JPG
    Foam ants.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 3
The first guy I ever met on a stream that was fly fishing with me said his friends call him "ants" because he fishes them so often. Great pattern in many sizes and colors.

I didn't tell you this... but you need some ORANGE!

shhh... it's a secret.

Nice looking ants JLW. I've been using dubbed bodies and black hackle for legs. They occasionally sink but yours look like they'll float all day.

I didn't forget orange I have brown ones with orange legs, black with red thread and brown with red thread too.

I should probably post some close ups. I don't have any orange thread, I figured the brown with orange legs would be great they look like cinnamon ants with the translucent pumkin legs.

JLW
Nice looking ants
Here is my version

Attachments

• MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
Looks like they're getting out of the box! Cool looking ants,I get my foam from M's as well great deal,lots of colors.

The crafts store is a hell of a lot cheaper if you know what to look for.

Beadhead, I like those legs on your ants.

My impression of ant flies is that you don't have to get real fancy with them. When it's terrestrial time, "it's on"!!!

I really like fishing ants and have bunches of them. Those will certainly catch fish!

Nice ants! When I saw that the thumbnail of the first picture I thought you had an infestation!
A sunken ant can also be a good choice, so you might want to add a few non-foam patterns to the mix.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I didn't forget orange I have brown ones with orange legs, black with red thread and brown with red thread too.

I should probably post some close ups. I don't have any orange thread, I figured the brown with orange legs would be great they look like cinnamon ants with the translucent pumkin legs.

You have orange FOAM ants? not just the legs or thread.

I like a parachute ant tied on a TMC 2488 in sizes 12-20. As for colors, I like all black, all brown, cinnamon, orange, or a combo of those colors. Grizzly hackle for all of the above.

I have yet to tie any ants. Looks like I need to get them on my list. I did fish them last year and had pretty good success. Just what I need more supplies.

No I don't have the orange foam but they sell it. I have been using orange and black legs on a light brown foam body to substitute the orange foam.

Not the best ,but an orange one

Attachments

• MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 3
beadhead2 have you been sneaking into loum's vest again ???

those look great Jake...im gonna copy em...

Back