An amazing vice

Padraic

Padraic

I was looking at flytying videos on Youtube. Check out the vice used in this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEn0qeODjnE&feature=related

Is that a power drill? You could really save some time doing rotary tying at 3,000 rpm! :-o Yeah, I knocked out that bugger in 15 seconds! :lol:

Looks like too much trouble for the good. Not to mentions it really didn't look like a very convincing ant.

I was hoping to see some high speed rotary.

Yeah, I think it looks rediculous.

Come on, you can get a vise for $8. I don't think I would ever resort to a drill chuck.
I think this guy it goofing off to people on utube to see.

That was assinine.

Although I did get to finally see how to properly use that tyoe of whip finisher. and I watched another (2 minute parachute Adams). Now that was slick!.

Thanks Pad.

Mo wrote: Although I did get to finally see how to properly use that type of whip finisher. and I watched another (2 minute parachute Adams). Now that was slick!.

A Matarelli type whip finisher is an essential tool for a fly tier, IMO. I would never consider not having one on my bench.

Several posters mentioned that they want to start tying. Here’s my list of tools you should buy, and tools you can make to start tying:

-Vise (decent one – fixed head is okay but one that has a head that rotates is better, and a rotary vise is great, but not necessary to start off with because of the cost)

-2 pair of Scissors (decent pair of fine scissors for fine work and a heavier pair that you use around the house to cut heavy materials – those sewing clippers without handle loops work great for heavy work)

-Bobbin (decent one - ceramic or flared tip – no sharp edges!)

-Hackle pliers (English style with the spring loop - without sharp edges!)

-Matarelli whip finisher (the easiest and best way to finish a fly)

-Dubbing needle (you can make one out of a good sized needle mounted in a pen)

-Hair stacker (you can use a plastic or metal cylinder, or large caliber shell casing)

-Box cutter or Exacto knife

-Dubbing Twister (make from a paperclip and a bolt or screw)

-Hackle guard (straw or swizzle sticks)

Of the above tools only the vise, small scissors, bobbin, hackle pliers, and whip finisher need to be purchased. Some of the tools other tools are not essential at first, but can made it from stuff you have laying around your house. Good luck.

For what it is worth, I rarely use my hackle pliers. About the only time I find it is required is when I barely have enough of a length of hackle to tie the fly. As cheap as they are, though, why not get one for those rare occasions?

Sounded like a British soap opera on in the background.

I rarely use hackle pliers too. I use whiting saddle 100 packs. Just hand over hand with those.
I do use cheap hackle pliers for small chinese hackle for nymph legs on certain patterns.
I have a $30 pair of hackle pliers that I never use -- what a waste of money!

Hackle pliers aren't really needed for bigger flies, but sometimes you need to release the hackle feather and the weight of the pliers keep tension on it. Also, I use hackle pliers for small flies, size 20 and smaller. I also have a mini pair for midges that come in handy for size #30 flies.

For what it's worth, you don't actually need a whip finisher either. I whip finish by handfrom time to time. I learned how when I started tying poppers. I forgot to buy a popper-sized whip finisher and I had to do something! Well, it's surprisingly easy once you figure out what you need to do. And you have a lot more control over where the thread goes.

Back