Aftershaft Feathers

NewSal

NewSal

Any idea where I can purchase pheasant aftershaft feathers??

afterfeathers.jpg

I've never seen them for sale. I pick up every fresh roadkill I pass by. Usually right after the Game Commission dumps a couple of crates out previous to general small game season. Although I missed the opportunity this fall. Didn't find any fresh ones.

Why not try to find a pheasant farm that offers pheasant hunts in your area. I'm sure if you asked nicely they would give you enough for a lifetime.

jdh2550 wrote:
Why not try to find a pheasant farm that offers pheasant hunts in your area. I'm sure if you asked nicely they would give you enough for a lifetime.

Loose pheasant body feathers are pretty common and cheap in craft stores, I'm sure many aftershaft feathers would be mixed in.

Pheasant are not the only birds with usable aftershaft feathers if you have any grouse, quail, partridge, and hen skins or packs of loose feathers, check them for usable feathers.

PennKev wrote:

Pheasant are not the only birds with usable aftershaft feathers if you have any grouse, quail, partridge, and hen skins or packs of loose feathers, check them for usable feathers.

^+1

Also, some of the feathers that come in packs of saddle hackle also have aftershaft feathers attached to the back of them. Some of them can have some really nice tones depending on the dying of the saddle hackle. I usually have a little ziplock bag laying around that I put any unused aftershaft feathers into it that I come across while tying. I generally don't throw any of them out.

dc410 wrote:
PennKev wrote:

^+1

Also, some of the feathers that come in packs of saddle hackle also have aftershaft feathers attached to the back of them. Some of them can have some really nice tones depending on the dying of the saddle hackle. I usually have a little ziplock bag laying around that I put any unused aftershaft feathers into it that I come across while tying. I generally don't throw any of them out.

I've used pretty much all of the ones on my saddles, that's why I was wondering if there was anywhere I could just buy a bag of them. But thank you for the reply.

Im kinda surprised you can't just buy them. I really like using them in a dubbing loop to add fluff / accent to soft hackle collars.

I picked up a fresh one on the way to work this morning - still warm. I got 6 Ziplock quart freezer bags full of feathers off of the bird.

Blue-Green back feathers
Church Windows - nicely marked brown/almond upper back feathers
Marabou feathers - beautiful dark brown/between legs/under tail
Rump feathers
Secondary Wing Quills
Primary & Secondary tail feathers - beat up - stocked bird

All of the body feathers also have an aftershaft feather attached.

Keep your eyes peeled - It's prime pheasant pickin' season!

Salvelinusfontinali - PM me your address and I'll send you a bag of aftershaft feathers.

Attachments

• Ringneck .JPG
    Ringneck .JPG
    83 KB · Views: 4
Back