Action Caddis/Performing a Dubbing Whip-Finish

gaeronf

gaeronf

Hey everyone, here's a little video I threw together showing how to tie my Action Caddis, and how to perform a "Dubbing Whip Finish," starting at 10:22. So, if that's the reason you are watching the video, then skip to it. Just a warning, I sound sleepy :D Thanks,

Gaeron

Well, let me know how to attach a video, cause for some reason I can't. Here's the link for you all.

Gaeron

On youtube when your vid is up click share>then embed then copy the code and paste it into the post.

Maurice

Nice vid. Only think I would recommend is stop telling people what you are doing wrong or not perfect. I can not tell from the camera angle if it is not perfectly straight or not right. it looks good keep it up. Badonkadonk like........

Maurice, thank you, i didn't know it was that simple! that's what mods are for!

Becker, ok, I will work on that. I find that I do do that alot

Gaeron,
Nice video and a very nice pattern. I will be tying these! I have a minor suggestion that you might want to try. Whenever I'm ribbing, I always make the first wrap of body material behind the rib. this avoids having that first wrap of wire at the back of the fly and having the wire ramp up onto the body. It's not a big deal, but it can make the fly look a little nicer.
Thanks for the video,
Mike.

esoteric (spider, stream, words), it's funny (yet i am entertaining it), then it gets really funny (still entertaining) , then condescending, then i laughed. action ensued.

Great job Gaeron! You've put together a nice tying video. I enjoyed it.
Dave W

Maurice, thank you, i didn't know it was that simple! that's what mods are for
please don't tempt me.
Nice job.

Thanks man. I never saw the whip-finish dubbing before. I'll have to give it try.

Gaeron got that technique from me. Your welcome Gaeron.

Gaeron. Awesome Job on shooting that high quality video man.
Keep at it and you will be the next famous fly tier on Youtube.

Sorry I missed you at the Tying Symposium. You were away from your station when i passed it several times?

JohnnyUtah wrote:

Please tell me you know him and are yanking his chain a little?

Lol love it

JohnnyUtah wrote:

English fail.

I invented the parachute post, you clowns are welcome.

Nice video. I wish I had a nice vise now.

No, honestly guys. Utah kindly taught me that gem. Not sure If he developed it himself, but it is genius. Thanks johnny for sharing it with me to share it with everyone else.

That technique may be new to you, but it isn't new. It has been around for years - ever since beadheads became popular - well, at least that is where I saw it first, probably been around longer than that. I certainly don't claim it, as I saw it during a demo more than 15 years ago to finish the thorax behind the bead.
What is old is new again...

gutcutter wrote:
That technique may be new to you, but it isn't new. It has been around for years - ever since beadheads became popular - well, at least that is where I saw it first, probably been around longer than that. I certainly don't claim it, as I saw it during a demo more than 15 years ago to finish the thorax behind the bead.
What is old is new again...

Yes, I have also seen it used on beadheads before. I never thought it was worth the trouble because the fish is already ignoring the fact that the nymph has his head stuck in a brass ball with a metal loop sticking out of it connected to a knot of mono. On non-beaded flys, I just expect them to have a bit of a thread head. I also have to wonder about the durability of a fly tied with a dubbing whip since the thread will not cinch down as tightly and you can't wax or cement the head. I'm not trying to be critical of Gaeron. The video shows some good solid techniques. I'm just not sure that this particular technique is a good one to use routinely.

I did not plan to use this technique, because I doubt it really mattered to the fish. The point you raise FFj about the knot not fully clinching down is a good one, and adds to the reason not to use it. imo

Back