A little more flash

dc410

dc410

A few years ago my wife was heading out to the local drugstore and I ask her to pick me up a bottle of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails polish to use to treat the heads on my poppers. As she was leaving I added --- something with a bit of glitter would be great.

Well she brought me home a bottle of Sally Hansen - Hard as Nails - Xtreme wear in the flavor named "Disco Ball". It has the number "180" on the top of the lid. I used it to put a finish on my pencil poppers and I was really happy with the look. I was tying a Clouser Deep Minnow the other day and realized that my epoxy that I use to treat the heads has outlived its useful life. I always thought dealing with the epoxy was a PITA anyway. So I figured that I would just use the "Disco Ball" nail polish and again I really like the look. Here are a few pictures of some other applications that I thought of for this product.

A flashback wing case on a PT nymph. I also picked up the idea of the ostrich herl for the thorax from that Ostrich Herl thread a few weeks back. I like that too.

A white dumbell eye Wooly Bugger with flash in the tail and the chenille in the body. The polish to treat the head instead of head cement adds a little more flash to the head which goes with the whole theme of that fly.

I don't know exactly how durable it is going to be. At this point it hasn't been field tested yet. The Xtreme wear part of the label on the bottle has my hopes up.

Attachments

• Clouser.jpg
    Clouser.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Pheasant Tail.jpg
    Pheasant Tail.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Wooly Bugger.jpg
    Wooly Bugger.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
Nice John, I like it. And here I am mixing micro glitter with my epoxy. I think for patterns that you use it for anyway might as well make a few with a little more flash, pics don't really do it justice. This effect looks so much better in person, (a cool side effect of this is it gives the area it's on depth) it really flashes under water too. Looks like a trip to right aid's in the cards.
Nice looking ties :cool:

Agreed! I really love the look of that flashback, plus the simplicity of the entire process. Thanks for sharing...

TC

I like it. Great idea. The PT nymph is my favorite.

GenCon

I use nail polish all the time. It is way cheaper than head cement, it holds up, it makes a shiny head and you can make some crazy looking patterns with it. I think I might have more nail polish than my wife. I always get a weird look when buying it. Not too many men in that isle of the store.

Back