100 Flys to choose for me

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

Alright all -- I dont know if anyone would be interested in this , but I am going for a major fly purchase. I have a few boxes of flys, and some old boxes of my dads, but this summer I am stepping up my gear and game when it comes to fly fishing and I am going to purchase right around 100 flys from Theflystop.com -- I am asking you, my fellow paflyfishers to pick out around 100 flys (including dif sizes) for this summer -- I am fishing primarily in the western pa area and will be doing a trip across pa in early may to hit all the big and not so big streams.

Have fun!

(Thought some of you would enjoy doing this, but I can certainly do it on my own ;))

22 letort cinnamon ant-works every where from Slate run to Armstrong creek in Montana as a fallback midge besides being a great terrestial[sp?].

I don't think I feel comfortable with explicitly picking them, as fly selection is kind of a deeply personal thing IMO.

I'd research it, mainly on here, fly shops, and through google searches. Look to get standard sizes for all of the bugs that show on hatch charts in your area. Get nymphs, emergers, adults, and spinners for all of them, assuming all stages apply (that's the stuff you should ask about). This includes midges, mayflies, stoneflies, and caddis.

Once that's done, get your generic stuff and terrestrials. (the important stuff)

Foam ants in sizes 16-20
Foam beetles in 14-18
Green weenies, pheasant tails, hare's ears, globugs, all in sizes 14-20
Scuds, sow bugs, and walts worms, if they're applicable. Get em in whatever sizes your local shops recommend.
Buggers in whatever sizes and colors catch your eye.
Generic nymphs and wets. Again, whatever you think looks cool or effective.
Streamers. Whatever looks neat. I prefer slumpbusters and zonkers, but I don't think it matters much at all.

I'm sure I missed some stuff, but if you got me 100 flies that fit the above with any accuracy, I'd take it to any stream in the state.

Your best bet is to honestly just get the generic stuff, and do individual recon before any trips or hatches come. You'll end up with more flies, more knowledge, and the cost will be spread out over time.

I have a friend was always like a vacuum cleaner on the stream. We fished often here (east). He now owns a fly show in the State of Washington. 95% of the time that I yelled, "Pat, what did you get him on", his reply is "beetle". Make sure you have some black foam beetles, as Jay said, 14-18.

Jay: I've been waiting to get you in a conversation for a while because I am huge pens fan and I can see you are a flyers fan ...I didnt know they could give such good advice!! haha, just kidding man -- in all seriousness, thanks a lot for the advice - I will certainly take that to heart, and as I said in my post, I could certainly do it for myself, I just thought that it would produce some interesting conversation here and thought some people might enjoy, and judging by your great response, I was right! Anyway, I am going to sit down tomorrow afternoon and get an influx of flys , so I am quite excited, doing some research now and trying to think "outside of the box"

You're a pens fan? Too bad the edit button is gone from my post. It should read significantly differently, now that this new information has come to light.

:lol:

jayL wrote:
You're a pens fan? Too bad the edit button is gone from my post. It should read significantly differently, now that this new information has come to light.

haha, nice form -- ya well, even though I am picking Philly to come out of the East, I am still clinging to last years Eastern Conference Championship til that time comes....

ErnieBall wrote:
jayL wrote:

haha, nice form -- ya well, even though I am picking Philly to come out of the East, I am still clinging to last years Eastern Conference Championship til that time comes....

I can only hope that with the world series and superbowl fresh on everyone's mind, that this rivalry still gets firing on all cylinders this year.

well to get the rivalry firing on all cylinders, the penguins would need to refrain from sucking ***, and unfortunately, they do not have too much desire to do that...I thought the last game they played in Philly where they dominated the flyers would get them on a roll, boy was I wrong.

ErnieBall wrote:
well to get the rivalry firing on all cylinders, the penguins would need to refrain from sucking ***, and unfortunately, they do not have too much desire to do that...I thought the last game they played in Philly where they dominated the flyers would get them on a roll, boy was I wrong.

Once it starts heating up, make sure you hit the OT forum threads about it. They are usually more fun that the valley creek thread on the conservation board. Just, whatever you do, please do not take my non-flyfishing posts seriously... :lol:

good to know, i will definitely do that...

EB- don't encourage him. I hope the flyers finish last.

Here are some ideas:

PT's,hare's ears, buggers- black, olive, sucker spawn- cream and yellow,green weenie, sulpher dries, adams, bwo's, elk hair caddis, leadwing coachmans, ants, big streamer or two

acristickid wrote:

Here are some ideas:

PT's,hare's ears, buggers- black, olive, sucker spawn- cream and yellow,green weenie, sulpher dries, adams, bwo's, elk hair caddis, leadwing coachmans, ants, big streamer or two

thanks for the tips ----

you're location is prettttyyy gooood

acristickid wrote:

Here are some ideas:

8 points up with 3 games in hand, all without having purposely tanked for a handful of seasons to get high draft picks. Hmm..

100 flies...

If it was me, I'd need a whole lot more than that. But I'm the one to want a large variety of things, and not use half of them.

Summer... I'd def have a variety of ants, beetles, and hoppers for terrestrials.

Dries - Caddis dry and emerger (I love caddis emergers!) sz 14-18 in a few colors, BWO's 16-22, Griffiths Gnats 20-26 for midges royal wulffs in 14-18 especially for wilds, Sulphurs 14-18, trico's 22-24, Adams sz 12-20 and maybe a few other dries.

Nymphs - (both regular and bead) prince, PT, HE in many colors, Midge (zebra), green weenie, SJW, egg patterns (salmon is my fav color).

Streamers - a few clousers and a bunch of buggers.

If I was going across the state on a fishing trip, that's what I would take for a short list lol.

jayL: tanked to get draft picks??? you dont "tank" when your team is made up of steve mckenna, milan kraft, rico fata, thomas surovy and your leading scoring is DEFENSEMAN Dick Transtrom.

ryflyguy: just curious, how many flys - on average - would you say that you carry

ErnieBall wrote:
jayL: tanked to get draft picks??? you dont "tank" when your team is made up of steve mckenna, milan kraft, rico fata, thomas surovy and your leading scoring is DEFENSEMAN Dick Transtrom.

They didn't have a GM?

just ordered 90 flys from theflystop.com --- I am at the height of cabin fever and am literally salivating at the thought of getting out on the water, I probably didnt need to drop 50 bucks on flys today, but..... I did.

Here's a suggestion, now that you bought some flies from the "Fly Shop", hopefully you chose more generic patterns like the ones mentioned above: HEs, PTs, WBs, etc. I suggest you buy the rest as from local fly shops as you fish during the season to meet some of the hatches on the stream. For example, you may never see a quill gordon or a black stone on your streams depending on when and where you fish, so buying flies to meet those hatches does not make much sense. But say for example march browns and big sulphers are hatching all over during your odyssey across the State, you’ll want to have flies to meet those hatches. Having a lot of flies is one thing, having the right flies is another. I guess “right” is not the correct word, since many different flies can work in many situations, maybe the “best” fly for the situation may be more accurate.

Anyway, an added benefit of buying flies tied at a local fly shop is that they would probably be a better to match the local hatches, and the shop can steer you in the right direction with respect to the hatches, conditions, and best places to fish. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, nothing can replace the info that can be gained from visiting a local shop. After fishing for a while you will learn which flies work best during different situations, and you can buy or tie flies to meet all the hatches you are likely to encounter. Good luck.

afishinado wrote:
Here's a suggestion, now that you bought some flies from the "Fly Shop", hopefully you chose more generic patterns like the ones mentioned above: HEs, PTs, WBs, etc. I suggest you buy the rest as from local fly shops as you fish during the season to meet some of the hatches on the stream. For example, you may never see a quill gordon or a black stone on your streams depending on when and where you fish, so buying flies to meet those hatches does not make much sense. But say for example march browns and big sulphers are hatching all over during your odyssey across the State, you’ll want to have flies to meet those hatches. Having a lot of flies is one thing, having the right flies is another. I guess “right” is not the correct word, since many different flies can work in many situations, maybe the “best” fly for the situation may be more accurate.

Anyway, an added benefit of buying flies tied at a local fly shop is that they would probably be a better to match the local hatches, and the shop can steer you in the right direction with respect to the hatches, conditions, and best places to fish. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, nothing can replace the info that can be gained from visiting a local shop. After fishing for a while you will learn which flies work best during different situations, and you can buy or tie flies to meet all the hatches you are likely to encounter. Good luck.

I agree with your sentiment afish but I think he said Theflystop.com.

They have pics of the flies...and a PA address.

Back