wissahickon.

cyfac0183

cyfac0183

Be honest... Who else is planning on throwing some flies at some trout on the wissahickon tomorrow?

I will be there in the afternoon/ eve after a long new jersey bicycle ride (hell of hunterdon).

Craig

Maybe. Depends on the how the morning pan's out.

The Wissahickon is a lot nicer stream than many that get stocked in PA.

troutbert wrote:
The Wissahickon is a lot nicer stream than many that get stocked in PA.

This is true. If you blind folded someone and put them in the valley green section they'd have no idea they were within philly city limits. It's night and day compared to the pennypack, which is a dump.

Not to mention the scenery on the bike path isn't too bad either.

Craig,

Trying to figure out why you would fish the Wissahickon when the high rocks area of the Tohickon (Tohickon gorge) is, relatively speaking, in your Pipersville backyard. Furthermore, it is more scenic (minus the bike path).

Yeah... Ralph stover is great. I grew up in pipersville, but live in roxborough now. My apt is right next to the wiss. Meaning... I have deer and trees right behind the house and.. I can walk to the wiss. So.... wiss. Wins. Plus I like being told that I won't catch anything with a fly rod down there by somebody with a camo NASCAR hat and a can of corn.

It is a bit odoriferous but the fish rise to the bugs and you can't hear the cars.

Yeah its 90% sewage effluent. Try cooking one caught there smells likes s--t when being cooked.

wildtrout2 wrote:
Don't forget your lounge chair. lol

so true, LOL!

I played hookey this afternoon for a couple of hours and hit the wissahickon - first time out this year. I parked at Rex Ave. and hiked up to the covered bridge hoping that it would be empty. No such luck - there were 3 dudes in lounge chairs chucking corn right below the covered bridge. I started fishing below them in the riffles and they started packing up shortly after that...so I started walking up to under the bridge. had a short conversation with them - they had no luck all afternoon - said that they threw everything that they had at 'em - "even Powerbait"!

I rigged up a size 14 beadhead prince...and with them standing there watching me - hooked up on my 3rd cast. they couldn't believe it. I just shrugged my shoulders....

Ended up with one more in the short hour that I fished today...

"The Wissy, Muggings and Trout"

New book coming out of the art of fishing the wissahicon and not being detected by the muggers..
by:
Ida hidn Bush

The trash that lay before you in any city dwelling park can be heart stopping. I fish the PennyPack all the time. I have a choice to clean up after some @@$#%# people or ignore. It is very difficult to ignore a place that would be so much nicer if people cleaned up after themselves. I have always believed that it is better to make a place somewhat better than before. If we all would view with the same and take 1 trash bag with us when we go fishing and pick up, it will make a difference. At PennyPack some people have placed trash bags around just to help. Of course not everyone plays the game. DO NOT WAIT FOR THE PARK CLEANUP DAY...It is only one day. Beautification of a park is 365 days our of the year.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
It is very difficult to ignore a place that would be so much nicer if people cleaned up after themselves. I have always believed that it is better to make a place somewhat better than before. If we all would view with the same and take 1 trash bag with us when we go fishing and pick up, it will make a difference.
I couldn't agree more! It's a real shame, but I found this collection of filth on a very remote stream (go figure) in the Pocono's. If it will fit in my day pack, it will get picked up and taken out. I can not/will not ignore it.

Attachments

• IMG_0600 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0600 (Custom).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 6
Back