stoney creek river (somerset area)

S

saxionm

Has anyone ever fished the stoneycreek river near somerset? If so what are your thoughts? Also, are there any regulations....Meaning can your fish it year round? I heard there was a section that was stocked. However, more interested in the section that is open to flyfishing year round. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

The limits of the ATW waters on Stoneycreek are delimited from top to bottom as such:

Stonycreek River (from Yonai Road (T-515) Bridge downstream to railroad retaining wall 0.25 mile downstream of Covered Bridge Road (T-565) Bridge)

Therefore, no other sections are closed to fishing at this time or any time. Since the trout season is closed, including the extended season, fishing outside of the ATW is permitted, though trout accidentally caught must be released unharmed. Whether specifically targeting trout this time of year is illegal could still be up in the air as far as enforcement efforts are concerned. Just try for chubs or smallmouth bass.

I have fished this section a few times, both the stocked section and some lower sections. There are no special regs on this water as of yet. The upper part is stocked as a put-grow-take fishery, meaning they only stock fingerlings in that section. There are however some nice trout up there if you put the time in to fish for them. Where are you from? If you are interested in fishing some of the lower parts of the stream maybe shoot me a message. It is a truly beautiful piece of water with some great holes and riffles.

psycobeagle12.....Hey I am from Indiana, Pa. I was considering giving it a try this weekend. I was looking for an are to do a bit of a hike....Maybe like 2-3 mile fish. Is there any section you would recommend fishing like this? Maybe park a vehicle at one end and another at the other end? Just myself and one other friend are going I believe. Just wanted to give something new a try. Thanks, Mike

Has anyone fished this water lately? Was considering a trip out there this weekend (probably park at covered bridge). Any information would be much appreciated.

Bump for visibility. Going to head out that way on Sunday and any information, or tips, would be appreciated. Going to try to park at a covered bridge for access.

Ryan,

A couple summers ago I went with a friend and we parked at the Covered Bridge and walked the tracks downstream about a mile or so and fished back up. Had a great time catching brooks and bows up to 12" using a big emerger pattern fished through the pocket water.

Also just downstream from the bridge (actually stood right next to it and cast downstream) I hit a nice spinnerfall in the evening. Picked up several more fish casting downstream. Even a double!

Maurice

Maurice,
Went out there yesterday and had a fun time. Between two of us we caught around 30 trout. All of them were rainbows and I managed to catch two small brown trout that were in the 4" range. The rainbows were all between 5 and 8" I would say. Only saw one or two BWO and after flipping some rocks the stream seemed pretty barren of nymph life. Very difficult stream to wade too as the rocks were all covered in a very slippery algae of some sort.

If I am not mistaken, those small fish are stocked as fingerlings and are not wild trout. Is that correct?

Yes I think they are fingerlings, Although a few wild browns would not surprise me.

It has been on my to do list for 25 years. I regularly kayaked it during periods of high water starting on Clear Creek depending on the water level and taking out below and the bridge above Paint creek. Beautiful Valley.

Tell someone where your going etc. The area is pretty remote and the hillside are steep and the wading is a bear. I have thought to myself, if I break my leg a mile or two back I'm in for real trouble.

Has anyone fished this lately. thinking of going there tomorrow. I was thinking of parking near Mostoller and walking up a bit. water is probably pretty low.

Back