slate run/cedar run

bushwacker

bushwacker

was thinking about a trip to slate and cedar this week. anyone local know if they are blown out from this weekends storm? as of 3-31-14. USGS gage shows pine @ cedar to be up, but cant really tell how that translates to the smaller feeder streams. also, if you have experience with the local motels: manor, black forest,etc., recommendations would be appreciated. normally i would camp to keep cost down, but state parks don't open until weekend.

You can call Slate Run Tackle to get the latest on the conditions. It looks like the water levels will be up to one degree or another. Regardless of the water level, the water temp will be cold and the fish sluggish. The scenery will be spectacular and you should be able to find solitude. I once made a similar trip and camped in the state forest.

While I agree with Brad for Potter, here's how I set the bar. I look at the Pine Creek Gauge at Cedar Run, if it's below 1500, you won't be fishing Pine until it gets to 100 or below. But the smaller stream may be ok, at 100 they'll be fine. However the water temp in Pine is 40, not a good situation, you want the Pine Temp to be near 50, the runs warm up faster, so the closer to 50 the Pine Creek Gauge is, better.

water temp in pine is 36-38 degrees this morning and off color !
lots of back roads are still covered in ice and treacherous driving.

Back