between boise ID and seattle?

M

mikesl

hey all.. changed plans a bit and will be driving from boise ID northwest to Seattle. Anyone know this area, and have recommendations for, preferably wild, trout fishing a few hours northwest of boise, not farr off i84? ? looks like plenty of spots, but hard to figure out what is what, some general guidance appreciated. the state fish and game tnd to focus their info on stocked trout ponds, at least in NE oregon.

thx in advance
mike

Grand ronde river, Boise river, umitilla river, payette river and their tribs all have fish.

Thanks sandfly, will look into those.

Just realized my route will also take me past the middle fork of the snoqualmie in WA after about 6hrs driving...

That is pretty tempting - seems like my kind of river (wild rainbows and cutthroats)

It's important to know when you are going. During the summer months things change, and the salmon and steekhead may not be available. But the Deschutes is just off of I 84 and fishes well all summer. Bring a jacket along if you plan on fishing into the evenings, it gets cold in the desert in the evening.

the owyhee for browns and the john day for great smallie fishing. also hire a guide to do some sturgeon fishing, you'll be glad you did. nothing like catching 8', 300 lb fish that jump out of the water. i did it once and the guide put me in a boat with 2 other people and it only cost me $150. I got 2, 8 footers and a couple of 5 fters. then hit up the yakima a few times.

Back