Yough summer trout, morning vs evening

steveo27

steveo27

Im working on convincing the old lady that we should take a trip this Saturday and check out Ohiopyle and the Yough.

Ive fished the Yough a few times, but mostly for bass in and around Ohiopyle with a spinning reel. Ive never fly fished it before.

I wanna check out the middle Yough (Park at Ram Cat Run and fish down stream) . According to the USGS, discharge and gage height seems to be good. The water coming out of the dam is right around 62* and the temps near Ram Cat fluctuate between 62* at 6am and 66* at noon and around 64* at 6pm.

I know she wont wanna spend all day fishing, but is usually willing to fish a few hours.

My question is, will we be better off fishing it in the morning or the evening?

We may also wanna check out Meadow Run as well. Same question goes for there too.

Cheers, thanks.

I do best between 8-10am. Before that, fishing is slow, and after, it gets slow. Evenings have always been slow.

Not to contradict the prior post, but on the Yough, this time of year, mid-day to late in the day had always been better for me. As for Meadow Run, I'd go early and secondarily late. Unless it is cool and overcast, mid-day would be tough conditions. This difference is water temps and light penetration.

My usual routine during summer- which involves fishing dry flies only - is to hit a small stream earlier in the day. Usually terrestrials do the trick for me.
Then head to the river late afternoon/evening to do some match the hatch fishing there.

Know that if you want to get into fish on Meadow Run that you will have to do some hiking. The water just above the water slides is incredibly scenic and worth seeing in my opinion, but there doesn't seem to be too many fish in that stretch.

The most productive water seems to be the sections below the cascades, but it's about a 45 minute hike from the water slides up to the cascades along the hiking trail. Definitely pack a snack and some water for this venture. It's a beautiful place and my wife agreed with how nice it is out there, but she was not a big fan of the hike...

I recommend hitting Meadow Run at first light, the fishing seems to be good then and the cooler temps make the hike much more bearable. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Ive fished Meadow a number of times, but never this late in the summer so I really wasnt sure what to expect.

thanks again.

Take your thermometer and plunge it now and then as you fish the stream. If the water is consistently above 68 degrees, I think you will find the feeding activity to be sparse and any hookup you make anti-climactic. If within an hour, you didn't encounter some temperatures below 65, I'd pack things up for the Yough. The nice thing about the Meadow Run DHALO is that it stays well-oxygenated, so marginal temperatures do not necessarily rule out decent fishing.

Back