Where to go for a guided float trip?

M

milleger

Hey Everyone,

I am in the Harrisburg area and my buddy is in the Allentown area and we want to set up a guided float trip. We would both be willing to drive a few hours. The only places I know of are the Susquehanna and the Delaware, but I am sure there are more options fairly nearby. Does does anyone have any good suggestions on places to fish, guide services, or anything else??

Thanks!

Lehigh, Joe Demarkis at Rivers Fly Fishing
Delaware, Border waters, Joe Demalderis or Coz or Brandon Alexander
If you want to float for smallies on the Lehigh or Skuke, Jake Villwock from TCO
Also, Susky you could go out with one of our own, Delta dog.

I don't know the guys mentioned by Becker, except for Jake Villwok. He knows his stuff and is also a fun guy to fish with......IMO.......

+1 to Shawn. Can't go wrong with Joe D on the D River.

http://www.crosscurrentguideservice.com/

As mentioned above, our own delta_dog guides on the Susquehanna. Here's his website:

http://semperfifishingpa.com/Photos.php

HIGHLY recommended!

H.A.

Did a Lehigh trip with Joe D. this spring(Charlie was the Guide). Couldn't have asked for a better trip!
Coughlin

Thanks for the responses guys. I sent out emails to a few guys checking on availability, hoping someone has openings later this month for us. I'm leaning towards the Lehigh or Delaware right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Deffinently float the Delaware. I have floated the Upper main stem many times!

Give it a few more cool night and some rains before hitting the Lehigh or the D. They are getting close to being good again.

Mentioned earlier, Brandon Alexander is one of the guides for Joe D and the Cross Currents group. You can reach him, Coz, Ryan or get hooked up with Joe D if you call Border Water Outfitters (607) 637-4296. Ben Rinker is also a very popular guide up there but I don't have a contact number for him.

** disclaimer **
Don't have visions of once in a lifetime days in the fall. It can be very hit and miss. If you want a real idea of what those rivers offer, hit them in the spring when the hendricksons, shad caddis, march brown, iso's and drakes are hatching. It's pretty impressive.

Here's a little video they did. Features Coz and Joe D.

http://www.catchingchrome.com

They know the Delaware and the Lehigh as well.

Joe and Coz are awesome as well!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. We decided to go with Joe D and Cross Current on the Delaware. I feel like a little kid on Christmas! I know we'll get all the inside info and tips from our guide, which will be either Coz or Brandon, but just curious of any advice you might have on techniques, gear, flies, anything at all?

Thanks again.

When are you going? We will be up fishing with those guys from Thur - Sun this week. I probably talk to Brandon every other day. PM if you want or reply on here.

Don't forget the following:

If you hit NY, new license is needed as of 10-1-12

The Delaware has sections that close 10-15-12, 10-31-12, 11-30-12

Krayfish,
We are going next Friday, the 12th. Looks like we'll be hitting it right before a section closes. I haven't fished up there before but with the cooler weather now and some rain coming through I am really hoping for a good day.

Definitely let me know how you do so I know what to expect since you'll be there just a few days ahead of me.

We'll have a JAM thread w/ photos reporting on our success or lack of success.

Justin one thing for sure is big nasty white streamers! Nice and heaven I use zuddlers and I wish I knew this was you earlier, I get up there once or twice a year. I have a bunch of zuddlers tied up. Only thing with steamers is you will catch a lot less rainbows and they are a blast up there. Facebook me or call me up before you go

Our trip was good. The fishing was slow. The WB was very low so we didn't give it much attention. We stuck to the EB and the Main Stem. If you are still heading up, throwing streamers in the top sections of the rivers should get some nice browns to net. On cloudy days, have plenty of olive patterns. We ran into some good hatches the last 2 days. The fish were exceptionally selective but not very spooky. Good luck and enjoy. Remember to check your regulations book for the sections of river that close in a few days.

Back