Where to fish while visiting Philly?

U

Utahtrouter

Traveling to the greater Philly area for business the week of June 30th. Want to spend a day fishing while here. Looking for input on where to fly fish within two hours of Philly. I have fished for 40+ years so I know what I am doing but don’t know where to go or what flies to use in this area.
Also, would you recommend a guide for this area and if so, who? Thanks

What kind of experience are you looking for?

Small, brush choked freestone wild brookie streams? Slower, medium sized limestoners with wild browns? Stocked fisheries? Warmwater fisheries?

There are a few decent trout options close to the city, but your options expand greatly in that 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hr range. Is 2 hrs a hard limit?

Utahtrouter,
Welcome to our online community. We can definitely help you out with planning your trip to PA.

Pcray is right regarding times.
Getting out a couple hours opens a lot of trout fishing as well as bass and even saltwater opportunities along the Jersey shore.

A good start would be to click the "Where to Fly Fish" link in the upper right corner of this page. Two to three hours drive time will put most of the streams in central and northeast PA within reach.

Regarding guides, there are quite a few available in eastern PA. I'd recommend a couple fellas who post regularly on this forum. If you take a look at "Professional Stream Reports" click on the forum names "Skyblue" and "NickR." They can show you a good time.

Feel free to hit us up with any other questions.
Good luck with your trip.
DaveW

I would be willing to show you around a few streams in the Lehigh Valley area if you post what kind of fishing you are looking for.

I agree...hit up "Skyblue" and "Nick R"

Thank you all for the input. I was thinking of a spring creek for trout. I will also contact SkyBlue.

Thanks for the referral...Rick

SBecker wrote:
I would be willing to show you around a few streams in the Lehigh Valley area if you post what kind of fishing you are looking for.

big

ones?

Is it not in bad taste to try and take money out of a guides pocket when an out of stater asks about guides? Especially once one is suggested?

That's why I stayed out of this one....

Ahh my bad. I read his post wrong. I thought he was going to be fishing more then one day and he wanted to check things out one day and get a guide another day. My bad Nick and SkyBlue.

Well his post didn't say he wanted to hire a guide, but rather asked IF hiring one was recommended and, IF so, who would anyone recommend. Not everyone would recommend a guide.

I think Valley Creek in Valley Forge park would be a good idea, its about 45 minutes from the city and holds some nice fish, there are also a number of other creeks about 15 minutes away from Valley that can produce some nice fish, Pickering creek and French creek are some other options

Back