What happened to Savage/N. Branch

3oh4

Anyone know why they took the site down that projected and notified whitewater releases on the Savage and North Branch Potomac? Only thing I can think of is they are putting the schedule together.

Sent an email yesterday, will let you know when/if I hear anything back. I hope funding wasn't cut :roll:

I hope they understand how dangerous it will make fishing. Nothing worse than being caught in rising water and being on the wrong side of the border.

Here's the phone number 410 962 7687.

Recording hasn't been updated since Sunday, no responses to my inquiries, starting to get worried. I've got a trip planned for Sunday, sucks to not have the normal tools at my disposal.

The Savage seems to be like every other tail water in the area -- flowing full tilt. It's at 360 cfs at the moment (down from over 500 a few days ago.)

Long time lurker figured I would chime in since I am also thinking of heading to the Savage this weekend. I checked one of the apps on my phone which showed the lower savage at 358cfs this morning and now is showing 173cfs as of 12:15pm. I am hoping its accurate since I usually rely on the site for flow info instead of this app.

10rman88 wrote:
I checked one of the apps on my phone which showed the lower savage at 358cfs this morning and now is showing 173cfs as of 12:15pm. I am hoping its accurate since I usually rely on the site for flow info instead of this app.

That's what the USGS site is showing:

USGS Flow Guage Savage River

Yes, the usgs is still up for the savage and north branch. The site that 30h4 and I are talking about is the army corp page that has predicted releases for 3 days for bith rivers. More importantly it also has reservoir levels, you don't want to be on the branch when the flows jump. Getting stuck on the wrong side could turn into a multi day hike.

Yea it's just not something I wish on anyone to get caught. Not to mention it's hard to plan trips out. Thinking your hitting a 270cfs day and by the time you arrive it's 500cfs can completely ruin a good plan.

I'll shoot Alan Klotz an email sometime and see if he knows anything about it.

Cool, let me know if you hear anything. I left a voice mail on the recording as well. If they are not updating that they probably aren't checking the messages either.

Sent an email to A. Klotz will let you guys know if he has any input.

They updated the recording, so that's encouraging. Unfortunately, I no longer need the flows for this weekend, my older son has the stomach bug, might be a rough weekend.

Great to hear they updated the recording hopefully the site will be back up and running at some point as well. Sorry to hear about your son hopefully his stomach bug is a short lived and he gets over it quickly.

Thanks, he's doing better. This is why it's important to have that information, they jumped the flows out of no where. The recording from Friday has no mention of an increase and of course the website is still not up. Unreal, smdh.
oTxt9ZJ.png

I agree without the information it not only can make the trip from NOVA for me a bust but also be down right dangerous. Luckily I had already decided not to fish the North Branch and stick to the Savage since it was still over 400cfs when I got to Western MD sunday morning.

How'd you do on the savage? Where in nova do you live?

Alan Klotz got back to me and said that he was unaware the website was not running and was going to let me know if he gets word of why. He did say he called the hotline and it was updated with a 3 day forecast for flow. 410.962.7687

Ryan- I moved to Sterling from across the river in MD. A little bit further of a drive to places like the Gunpowder but also a bit closer now to the brookie streams at SNP. Spent Sunday tossing buggers and other streamers and only got 1 Brown to the net but moved a couple of fish and hooked up to one other Brown that popped off before I could net him. Air temps were great and the river wasn't too crowded so still a great day.

3oh4- Thanks for the update regarding the site. Looks like Ill have to use the phone number for now.

Problem with the phone number is that's it's only updated every three days. On Sunday the recording from Friday made no mention of a large release. That's the nice thing about the website, it's updated daily.

Yeah I'm really bummed I didn't get out in the great weather, sounds like a great day.

Back