Swinging Butt Monkey, Cumberland County, PA--2/16/2014

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

Here is a 24"er caught at sunset on a gray butt monkey on an 8-weight rod. Krayfish called me up and had a friend visiting and asks if I could join he hunt. After a couple hours and several locations, I spotted a beast snoozing on the bottom about 15 feet in from the bank. I repositioned myself but it took off. Sunset was nearing and Krayfish / friend hit the road. I like when I get out with Krayfish because I then catch a Big'en.

Nice fish Night_Stalker!

That's a big fish. Great job.

GC

That's a really nice fish Night_Stalker. However, the Gray Butt Monkey is what really caught my attention. I googled it, with some reservation, but did confirm that it is a really cool pattern.

Fly fishing at sunset, in February! I told Krayfish you are hardcore! Congratulations, you deserve that fish for all your dedication

Yeah, I too am really impressed with the fish that NS has routinely been catching this winter....and the fact they're caught at dusk or after dark is interesting (to say the least).

I think that night fishing for browns in the dead of winter is a pretty uncharted territory (or at least it's flown under the radar screen) and clearly NS has shown us the proof is in the pudding. Unfortunately, I've had almost no time to fish this winter but NS's pics are definitely keeping me motivated. I also think that, once I start chasing smallies next month, that I may stick around till dusk and try some spots that I know hold some big trout during the colder months of the year.
Good stuff.

dc410, The fly was purchased from Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn shop. It swims with a very natural movement, easy to animate and is fairly large…at least 5" and has a single hook. Kelly's site states that it "will surprise you on overcast days"…which stuck in my mind and led me to pull it out of the piles of flies. I only tried two flies that day and having confidence in the fly you use can be a big part challenge. Kelly is a big proponent of testing a fly before selling it to the public.

I've been purchasing many streamers and testing the swimming and behavior in order to start customizing my own flies to the local waters. Streamers swimming with a white belly upside down don't hack it. Others that do not stay in the bite zone desired using floating and/or sink tip lines…with various leader lengths.

If you know large brown trout behavior…twilight/sunset/just after dark can be the most productive. The best time to fool the fish. The beast I saw the other evening (looked to be over 2-foot) was dormant on the bottom…as expected.

Even thought I put Krayfish on a perfect location to encounter a big fish…from my experience the timing must also be perfect.

By the way, in looking at the photos a little more carefully, this is the same fish I caught back on 2/2.---(Fishidiot has been caught slacking)

DaveS, I must fish when the fish are available…which happens to be the cold months. Dedication or obsession. I have had a number of anonymous people pass me, roll down their window and say…"you're hardcore" due to the crazy conditions they witness me fishing in. If you want to catch them, one must go to extremes. My finger tips are currently lacking full sensitivity due to several days of near frost bite…but it is worth it!!!!

Fishidiot,

Don't be surprised to catch 20" smallies beside 23" browns. Last year, opening day of trout season I caught my fifth 20" smallie of the year while hunting trout. January 31st of 2013, it was a freakish 60 degrees and I caught a 21" smallie while hunting trout. There are plenty of those crazy tiger muskies that the fish commission keeps stocking for no good reason.

Back